LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

spring on brand new heads blew

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
SA roller rockers shouldnt pop off unless you are reving past 6400rpm. How much cam lift? Also the rocker nut could of loosened causing the pushrod to bang into it. Did you check valve lash after the first few heat cycles?
Cam was 224/230 .573/.568 112

Sadly didn't recheck valve lift. As this was suppose to be the 2nd time the motor has ran for more than a few seconds

Going to check for a failed lifter but so far general consensus is the rocker was too loose for me. For now Im going to pull the motor so make working on it easier. Either going to take the heads to my local machine shop or maybe hit up Lloyd and see what he says. Block prob needs to be gone through also
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing that pulling the head would be the next step just to see what the condition is of the cylinder and piston. That much i think i know. But i have to ask cause i feel like i missed something.

Where the hell did the pushrod go?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Man that really sucks. Putting the rr on upside down without the flat part facing upward so the poly lock can sit flush would def cause this to happen. Either that or the poly lock just came loose and unscewed. Those are my guesses. Hopefully the rest of the engine is good.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
Man that really sucks. Putting the rr on upside down without the flat part facing upward so the poly lock can sit flush would def cause this to happen. Either that or the poly lock just came loose and unscewed. Those are my guesses. Hopefully the rest of the engine is good.
What do you mean upside down? Like the lunati lettering facing towards the intake? Cause idk one part clearly looks like its meant for the pushrods and the other sits on top of the valve tip. Seems hard to not put them on the right way so not sure how I could have done that
Old 01-18-2017, 05:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with the upside down theory. The little metal colored thingy that the rocker pivots on (inside the rocker, you slide the stud through this things hole) has a round side and a flat side. The round side goes down, the flat side goes up, so the lock bottom sits on a flat surface. If you put the round side up, the round surface could have worn slightly or the bottom of the lock could have worn, causing your lash to loosen, causing the rocker to rotate. Or your method for 0 lash could have collapsed the lifter, causing it to bounce.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I agree with the upside down theory. The little metal colored thingy that the rocker pivots on (inside the rocker, you slide the stud through this things hole) has a round side and a flat side. The round side goes down, the flat side goes up, so the lock bottom sits on a flat surface. If you put the round side up, the round surface could have worn slightly or the bottom of the lock could have worn, causing your lash to loosen, causing the rocker to rotate. Or your method for 0 lash could have collapsed the lifter, causing it to bounce.

I think im gonna be sick.....I think I did put the rockers on upside down......I can't believe how I managed to do that....I read so many guides and different information around many forums and I never once read anything about that.

Well time to tear down and hope I didnt do any serious damage
Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My guess is your damage will be a blown lifter, damaged pushrod and valve. Hopefully shortblock is okay. When i installed my roller rockers i was paranoid that i would install the roller fulcrum upside down so i triple checked every one. And i did my zero lash twice to be sure i got it correct. Scary building a motor for the first time, mine should be ready to fire up in a few weeks to a month.
Attached Thumbnails spring on brand new heads blew-20170116_204155.jpg   spring on brand new heads blew-20170109_234938.jpg  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Bird97
What do you mean upside down? t
Originally Posted by LT1Bird97
Not even sure what flat side of the trunion even is.....

]
Originally Posted by ******
The "flat" side is what the poly lock contacts. If you put the RR on "upside down" in terms of the trunion shaft than the poly locks would sit really high.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread which is why I asked "did you install the RR with flat side up or down"..

hard to tell from your pics but just take the poly nut off and look. Is the mating surface where the Poly nut contacts flat or curved"....it should be flat

soooo if you did install hem with the trunion shaft upside down than you see what can happen

if that was in fact what happened than you will at least need to pull the one head with the damaged valve tip and at the very least replace that valve and if damage to the head (valve seat) than that needs fixing.

IDK what head gasket you used or what TQ procedure you did but you mention coolant in motor. IDK if the damage caused a crack in the head causing the coolant leak. You will need to pull head and look or have the machine shop test the head. I have no doubt Lloyd sent you good heads so the damage was caused by what appears to be faulty RR install

IDK how long the motor ran like this but given the metal debris if very long at all metal is in the oiling system and would score bearings if the motor was run for a period. You can roll the dice on doing a few oil changes but if you are pulling the engine, pop off the piston and main caps and look at the bearings
Old 01-18-2017, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so ******, im tryin to look for a pic of both sides of a rocker bearing, this is about the best i can find. is the side that is up on these bearings the same side thats supposed to be up? from what i can see they are sunken into the bearing with that "flat" you mention a little below the curved surface of the bearing. im guessing that is why the head of that tension stud looked sunken way below the tension or locking nut, due to the fact the locking nut sat high on the rocker because it was not sitting inside the bearings groove...so to speak.

LT1Bird97 its unfortunate what has happened. i wish you fair winds and following seas in your investigation but hell, thanks for posting this.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^ yes the "flat recessed" part is what the Poly lock faces. The bottom is the round part of the rocker bearing shaft assembly and that goes on the rocker stud first

Quick Reply: spring on brand new heads blew