LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacing Aero chamber muffler with 40 series, Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Aero chamber muffler with 40 series, Will it work?

I have the hooker aero chamber catback and wanna change to a 40 series muffler. This is my current muffler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...9hkr/overview/

I only see 80 series mufflers that are the same as my aero chamber. This is the one I want.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-430402

See its slightly different on the left side and I'm worried Ill run into issues? Like if I put the flowmaster on the left side tail pipe will stick out to much lol.

The Inlet Diameter and outlet Diameter is the same as my aero chamber. Thats the closest one I can find to my muffler
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flowmaster does not make a 40 series in the transverse style you need. On a side note I tried one that "fit" and the drone was ungodly I ditched it after about 2 minutes. What about the aerochamber don't you like?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The drone on 40 Series is horrible, I agree.

OP you can do it, but the stock style has the inlet and one outlet on the passenger side and one outlet on the drivers side. The 40 series has 1 inlet on one side and 2 outlets on the other. You'll need to take that into consideration. Maybe a 2 out the left set up??
Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Flomasters......LOL!!!

KW
Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make it work if it's what you want. I'm running a single in dual out standard magnaflow muffler on my catback. It has one inlet on the passenger side and two outlets on the driver side. The outlet towards the rear of the car goes to the driver side tailpipe and the other outlet has a 180 mandrel bend to go behind the muffler to a straight and a 90 to the passenger side tailpipe. With this setup I get a very different sound than the standard catback with the crossflow muffler.

Quick Reply: Replacing Aero chamber muffler with 40 series, Will it work?