LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about automatic transmission programing

Old 01-01-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about automatic transmission programing

I'm getting ready to do an LE2 setup so i will need to get my PCM tuned anyway so i was wondeirng about what options i have for automatic transmission shifting. I plan on putting in a Hurst quarter stick shifter with the pistol grip. Here's the one im talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33736

Well anyway, I was wondering what kind of programming can be done with the automatic transmission. I have a 1995 Formula so i have the "Performance" button. I was wondeing if it could be tuned so it shifts very firm with the button off, and somewhere around 6300 rpms, and with the button on, shift somewhere around 4500 rpms so that when I'm "racing" i can use the Hurst shifter as a manual and maybe hold the gears a little longer.

I was also wondering if the transmission will change gears as soon as i shift or if it will delay. Mine right now if im going say about 35 in 1st gear and i slide the shifter to 2, it will delay a second and then shift. Same for all the gears. I have a Jet 2 module which i believe is some sort of electronic shift kit. The gears hit very very hard, and shift at 6,000 rpm in either mode. There may have been transmission work by the rpevious owner. Theres a holley 255 pump in it, and a few bolt ons. The thing is i dont want to manually shift at about 6400 rpm, and then have it delay to about 6700 rpm before it shifts.

Another thing i was wondering is should a reprograming/shift kit be installed in a 4L60E? I have heard that they don't need them, but is it ok to be manually shifting the automatic?

Thanks for the help guys!

Shawn
Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 4l60e wont shift when you move the lever,hence the electronic part. you would need to go to a 700r4 in order to shift it yourself as far as i know.

as far as the performance button,no idea,my car doesnt have that.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

You have a TA but no perform button?? I thought all firebirds had it. The Transmission perform button, right next to the shifter. I guess if you dont have a 4L60E though, then you wouldnt have one
Old 01-01-2005, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

the performance button is OBD1,my car is/was obd2. from what i understand,the obd2 has the "performance" settings as the normal shidt patterns.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually Both OBD-I and II have the capability's for the button....even Camaro's

Some of the things you ask for can be done in the programming but it is going to take a real tunner and not one of the many Fly by night wanna be's.

The one thing that Can't be done is different WOT shift points for each setting. there is ONE look up table at WOT and it covers Normal , Perormance and Manual shifts.

Most every thing else you want can be done in the programming.

Now to the shifter...got some bad news there. Not going to be a real bolt in. Lots of fab work and wiring if you go that route.

What I can say is that for Racing leaving it in "D" is the way to go

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

yeah it wasnt easy to get my prostick to work,but i deal with a GREAT fab shop. they also shot the wiring problems,which saved me headaches
Old 01-01-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Ah i see. Thanks guys. I don't mind leaving it in "D". I just thought it would be kidna cool to have a manual/auto. My last 3 cars were manual so i kinda miss being able to shift.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about automatic transmission programing