LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

shortblock options...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shortblock options...

what a great week... lost my job friday and found out today that my piston rings are toast... question is, what do i do now?
replacing the rings is boring so im thinking along the lines of either a nice 355 or 357, or a 377 or 383... now cash is going to be very tight for this seeing as im now jobless.. i applied at the local discount autoparts for the time being so hopefully they will hire me up..

now if i were to choose one of these setups, which is the BEST ALL AROUND for a daily driven street car? keep in mind that id like to hit some nice power to it, now how i attain that power is up in the air. the possible routes i were thinking are as followes:
355 or 357: forged and ready for a supercharger. those alone with the 3 angle valve job stock heads i have and a blower cam should net me some serious power (400+ is my goal) the question i have is can i use my stock crank with over 400 hp in an engine that will rev pretty high?
also anyone know of a good rotating assemble to buy for this? ill be using my stock block more than likely.

other options are 377 or 383.. this engine would be for all motor.. cast crank probably cast rods and forged pistons( just incase the nitrous bug bites again). again id be on the stock block. plans would be shortblock, ported stock heads and a nice sized cam.

which of these two setups will be better for daily use? also which do you think would be cheaper to do? by cheaper i mean the shortblock.. power adders and heads cam would come later.. which ever shortblock i chose would end up getting my stock heads back on and probably the stock cam if it could handle it at least for the time being.. any opinions are appreciated.. again this is up in the air and i just want to see what works and what doesnt
Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey you need to take of your finacial problems first, dont dump all your money on the car with out a job to fall back on
-+
Old 04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih355
Hey you need to take of your finacial problems first, dont dump all your money on the car with out a job to fall back on
-+
True...but to answer some questions.
The cast crank will live to 400hp and then some...its the rods in the LT1's that go...

The cheapest/ easiest rebuild is the 355. They are gonna line hone it, overbore .20" most likely since the rings went, and maybe turn the crank. Then you will need the following for the rotating assembly.....rods, pistons, rings, main bearings. Eagle or Manley for the rods, and maybe JE or Ross/ Diamond for the pistons. Also ARP rod bolts would be good if you want to turn this thing 6700+. Plan on dropping 1000 for this depending on how much ur machine shop wants to rape you. Sorry man and good luck

Quick Reply: shortblock options...