LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ram Jet 502 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ram Jet 502 swap?

I figure I would rather get a crate motor of some sort or even a bare block and build it on a stand and then have it installed after its all checked out (since I'm no professional, but I would like to try to do this with my uncle's help). First, I'm gonna focus on paying my car off. Then, I would like to go with the crate motor idea. So, okay here we go I have searched with little info on actual BBC swaps. I was wondering if this is even possible, I know anything is possible with enough money, but is it an actual engine to consider. I mean, how many things would have to be swapped out? I have tried to search and find information on BBC swaps but a lot aren't for street cars and a lot aren't fuel injected... if I missed a thread that answers this stuff and about the 502 RamJet, please don't flame me lol, just link me and I will be happy to read on. I'm sure the hood would have to be swapped for something that sat a little higher, like one of the VFN fiberglass hoods, but I can't see any other body panels having to be swapped. Now, in my post I really want to focus on the mechanical end of it. Plus I would like this to be a street rod kinda deal...and maybe if I can afford to keep gas in the thing, drive it a good bit during the week, if that is even possible. I just like the idea of a real big block opposed to the SBC's that are sleeved and bored way, and things of that nature. Not saying there is anything wrong with them, just I want a real BBC. Or maybe this whole idea is a waste of time and a big waste of money. Anyway, just looking for some advice and knowledge on the subject. Thanks for all the help and support guys! Oh and the GM part number for the engine I'm talking about is 12497323 (Ram Jet 502) . Any info or other threads that I may have not read carefully enough is welcome. Thanks again!

-Mike
Old 05-17-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

i can only imagine working on a BBC IN an LT1...... its already pretty hard working on these *****.....
Old 05-17-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well you could ditch the inner fenderwells and have tons of room, mount it on a motor plate and make some custom inner fenderwells. that would work. Headers would have to be custom, or modified BBC headers. Also a little bit of the cowl would have to be trimmed underneath the wipers to clear the distributor, or you could put on a msd setup-crank trigger style to alleviate that problem. Here are some problems I foresee- gauges...not really my area of expertise, so i dont know how you would hook them up unless you made a custom sheet metal panel with Autometer or similiar gauges to hook up easier. Cooling....a custom radiator from be-cool to handle the cooling duties should work. other than that, a cage, slicks, good tranny and rear end and wheels up my friend
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Wasn't the concept ZL1 car a 1993 camaro with an ls1 front end conversion and a 572 in it?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your responses guys...I think I will talk to a local shop that installed my headers and specializes in f-bodies. Hopefully, someone has done a BBC swap locally for a street car and not some crazy full race setup. Starting to think my whole idea is stupid and it's better to just build a crazy SBC. lol, oh well. Thanks again for the replies guys!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Its been done before. I know a guy who put a Merlin super tall deck into a V6 camaro. It was something sick like 732 cubic inches...

He pays V6 insurance too

Quick Reply: Ram Jet 502 swap?