LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

glowing header after H/C install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default glowing header after H/C install

ok fellas 95 LT1 Z,
I finished puting in the hotcam and ported heads on this car about a month ago and i put about 2 miles on the car when the FP died out. Now, the car sat for about a month while i finshed up other things on my LS1. Well today i put the FP in and drove it home from work. All gauge readings were fine. As soon as i stopped at home i saw some smoke coming from the hood. I opened the hood and the passenger bank header was glowing red. Now the car does not have dual exhaust, its a single cat so i know its not the cat becuase the other side would also glow. Plugs are new, Wires are original. The car runs fine but lacks some power. Im too tired to look at it now, any ideas fellas ?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:30 AM
11 Second Club

i think you need a tune for the new cam.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Staging Lane

your car is either running extremley lean or you have some bad injectors, I had this happen to me on my syclone once the alternator was uplugged (my mistake) and i was running it hard and the battery drained down real far wich slows down the fuel pump and injectors causes it to run lean,
Old 08-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Teching In

It can also happen if it's running too rich, because some of the fuel will ignite in the header itself.

First thing to do would be to check for exhaust leaks I guess.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Teching In

You also might want to pull off the valve cover and look at the rockers. I had a loose rocker once and that header primary was glowing red. Just another thought. Good luck!

Brian
Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing could also be off as well.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opti spark is not installed properly. Did you line the dowel pin up to the correct slot on the opti drive? That or a bad opti has to be the problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

i am going to go with timing
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Teching In

The opti is installed right and the timing is right. Its not the 1st time ive done this. Im leaning towards a loose rocker arm or injectors because only the ONE side is doing this. Is it common for fuel rails to clog on these cars or not. A local speed shop that i deal with at my shop said it could be clogged on the fuel crossover. Im going to pull the valve cover off and if I come up empty handed im going to replace injectors and clean the rails. Any other ideas.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dunno my car is doing it on all headers I dont even wanna get in to it.. But its usually a timing or fuel issue
Old 08-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Ok well today i got around to mess with it some more. I thought it was the injectors so i removed all 8 cleaned and tested each one, cleaned the rails and crossover and reassembled them with the rear passenger side injectors in the drivers side front now to see if it was indeed the problem. I aslo pulled the valve cover and no rockers are loose. I found another problem which contributed to this. I asked the shop boy to do an oil change on my car when i went out to lunch last week. Since all we work on is forgein cars he put 8 quarts of oil in. So i changed the oil again and now the car is running alot better so i thought. I drove the car home this time no smoke at all but when i got home the manifold was red again. I checked the other side but i didnt have a bright enough light but i think it was a bit red also. I think the excess oil was burning up and it clogged up the catt. Tomorrow im going to gut the cat and see if that does the trick. Any other things it could be?

Quick Reply: glowing header after H/C install