LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

completly removing A/C and air bags for 94 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default completly removing A/C and air bags for 94 Z28

a friend of mine wants to completly remove A/C and air bags in his 94 A4 LT1 camaro to loose some weight. i can remove the compressor, the pipes that go into the compressor, the condensor and the can. there still some stuff we need to remove i guess it is the radiator heater ( i don't know what do you call it) that is beside the PCM and against the firewall. i don't know if there is other stuff i have to remove. can any one tell me what steps exactly to do to remove the whole A/C system completly?

also for the air bags i'm not sure where to start excatly.

btw, i have the helms manual for the 94 f-bodies (camaros and firebirds).
Old 10-30-2005, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

sry i kno nothing about removing them but I think u need the 1LE ac delete pulley or something like that plus a couple other things.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the 1LE A/C delete pulley. what are the other couple things i need?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
i have the 1LE A/C delete pulley. what are the other couple things i need?
Im not sure I thought I might have heard somehwere there is more but again Im not 100% sure about that.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope its turning in to a race car. The only part you need to remove the a/c is that delete pulley and it will work with stock belt as long as you dont have after amrket pulleys. Every thing fire wall forward is simple to remove. Once you get in to the dash it takes some work. You can make a block off plate for the firewall once its all out. I wish my TA had a/c, one day I will put it back in again
Old 10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, post the steps when your done im think of doing it myself
Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is called the evaporator. it is the only thing that is remaining from the A/C system in the engine compartment. i didn't find in the helms manual how to remove it. what is the wieght of the evaporator?

the other things that are remaining are inside the car the air ducts. i have to remove the dash board and stuff to get access to the air ducts but does it weigh that much?

how about the air bags? any one removed them before? what to remove from the air bags system and what to leave?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I never got a clear answer on this but I think you need to leave the evaporator if you still want heat and defrost. I left mine and put plugs in the line holes to keep trash and gunk out. Also on the bags, the driver one is easy. There are 4 torx bolts behind the wheel then just pop the bag off. Then unplug your electronics and install your Grant wheel or leave the stocker but there will be a big empty space. The driver one is a little harder. I flipped up the cover on the dash and got it from up top but it was tight. The airbag computer is underneath the glovebox and I got it too.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget to unhook your battery for awhile before messing with the air bags.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't plan on removing the airbags, but what is the best way to disable the system? Remove the fuse or unhook the computer to them?

I drive around w/ kids in my car, in addition, since my Z isn't worth as much as it used to be, I'm afraid if the airbags did go off that the car would get totalled and I don't want that to happen.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

my friend decided to leave the evaporator alone after seeing it is a little not easy to take it out. he said he will remove it later by a mechanic.

for the air bags how much do they weigh? weight of the air bags's computer?

what other stuff related to the air bags that i can remove with out causing a DTC or similar problem?

Last edited by Abdullah; 10-31-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What are the legal aspects of removing the airbags?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I would say each weighs 7 lbs each or so.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are not many single things you will find as heavy as you hope it will be when you get it off. Biggest things I found were the brakes. Saved 68 lbs, but have to go down one more exit at the track now. The AC and air bags didn't weigh all that much. The compressor and bracket was most of it. The rubber sound deading mat on the back side of the firewall and floor up front weighed about as much as the stuff AC inside the car. I found almost nothing on that weight list posted here someplace to be correct. Not many single items on these cars are really heavy. I weighed everything on a digital scale, some of it was dissapointing when time is considered. I would like to find one of those plastic late model gas tanks that save 18 lbs. The steel tank hardly weighs 18 lbs, the plastic tank would have to be lighter than air.

Ed
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Swap out hoods if you want to shave weight. Stock, I'm guessing weighs roughly 70 pounds. My VFN hood weighs 22 pounds, the bolt on version of my hood weighs 15 pounds. Switch to true duals and lose your catback, that will drop another 30 pounds or so. AC system, with the condensor is probably 70 pounds total, including lines, compressor, condensor, can, and freon. I agree, nothing ever seems to add up to much as a unit in itself. I managed to drop roughly 200 to 250 pounds by removing AC system, catback, front swaybar and bracketry, lighter hood, spare tire and jack, EGR system, air pump, cats. But I added a few pounds in oil from a deeper pan, few pounds in tranny fluid, also a deeper pan, pound in the trans cooler, 5 pounds for strut tower brace, 15 pounds in subframe connectors, and 120 or so pounds in a speaker box with 2 twelves and 2 amps. So my car is pretty much barely any lighter than stock. There is not much weight you can drop without making sacrifices in comfort.

Quick Reply: completly removing A/C and air bags for 94 Z28