Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Torque_Wrench's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the Sticks of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to Torque_Wrench
Default Lt1 To Lt4 Conversion W/ 9 Lb. Powerdyne

HEY GUYS, I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE. I WANT TO PUT AN LT4 HOT CAM IN MY CAMARO, AND I'M RUNNING A 9LB. POWERDYNE SUPERCHARGER, SO.....IF I CAN'T PUT LT4 HEADS BECAUS IT WILL RAISE MY COMPRESSION TOO HIGH.....SO WHAT HEADS AND INTAKE DO I NEED TO GO WITH THE HOT CAM AND THE BLOWER?
__________________
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab: Mostly stock this time around! Loud pipes | Nitto Terra Grapplers | Billet Grille | Caddy Handles | Dark Tint | Diablosport Custom Tune. All protected by my anti-theft system called...Glock20 10mm!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Torque_Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
METALBEAST's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, Georgia
Posts: 3,027
Default

I would recommend getting the Trickflow LT1 castings versus the GM LT4 heads. They have 195 CC intake runner volume and larger combution chambers (62 cc versus 54.4 CC for the GM LT4 head) which will provide a more blower friendly compression ratio. Plus, you can use the stock LT1 intake instead of having to use the LT4 intake if you went with the LT4 heads. As far as the cam, well I am not going to say anything at all about the Hot Cam since it offends people when you do , but I would suggest talking to Comp Cams and see if they have a blower cam they would recommend. Here is their website:

http://www.compcams.com/
__________________
1997 Camaro Z28 M6
1997 Mustang Cobra Build #6158
1991 Mustang GT M5
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t1975/MCE2.gif
METALBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Torque_Wrench's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the Sticks of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to Torque_Wrench
Default tHANX

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALBEAST
I would recommend getting the Trickflow LT1 castings versus the GM LT4 heads. They have 195 CC intake runner volume and larger combution chambers (62 cc versus 54.4 CC for the GM LT4 head) which will provide a more blower friendly compression ratio. Plus, you can use the stock LT1 intake instead of having to use the LT4 intake if you went with the LT4 heads. As far as the cam, well I am not going to say anything at all about the Hot Cam since it offends people when you do , but I would suggest talking to Comp Cams and see if they have a blower cam they would recommend. Here is their website:

http://www.compcams.com/
HEY THANX MAN.....ANYMORE IDEAS?
__________________
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab: Mostly stock this time around! Loud pipes | Nitto Terra Grapplers | Billet Grille | Caddy Handles | Dark Tint | Diablosport Custom Tune. All protected by my anti-theft system called...Glock20 10mm!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Torque_Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
METALBEAST's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, Georgia
Posts: 3,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
HEY THANX MAN.....ANYMORE IDEAS?

Don't forget your basic boltons that you really need to make everything work right
-LT Headers (I recommend Pacesetters)
-CAI (Moroso, K&N)
-52 mm Throttle Body (BBK, Edelbrock)
-True Duals or a Catback (SLP Loudmouth, Magnaflow, Borla)
-Gears (If your on a budget 4.10s for an M6, 3.73s for an A4. If you have the money get a 12 bolt Rear with said gears)
-New Clutch (Spec II or Spec II) or a new Torque Converter (2800 to 3000 stall. Vigilantes are really nice)
-255 lph Fuel Pump

And finally you are going to need some new injectors. This is going to depend on how much power you are looking to get AT THE FLYWHEEL. This is the formula I recommend using

IS = FWHP*BFSC/#Cylinders where

IS= Injector size in lb/hr
FWHP = Flywheel Horsepower
BFSC =Brake Specific Fuel Consumption = 0.55 for blown engines

So, if you wanted to make 450 FWHP on a blown engine:

IS = 450*0.55/8 = 30.94 lb/hr

Since this is between the common injector sizes available of 30 lb/hr and 36 lb/hr, you would choose the larger of the two or the 36 lb/hr injectors. Accel and Bosch are my recommendations for injectors.
__________________
1997 Camaro Z28 M6
1997 Mustang Cobra Build #6158
1991 Mustang GT M5
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t1975/MCE2.gif
METALBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
slowmofo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,904
Default

without the stupid part
__________________

98 T/A A4- 3/4 race cam and twin turbonators
09 G8 GT - Bone Stock
94 Z28 A4, Stalled, Cammed, Boltons.(sold)
| 11.6 pass |
slowmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,372
Default

The LT4 package is not blower freindly even doubt even the strongest LT4 supporters would recommend using those parts with a blower. I would second the Trickflow heads recommendation and go with the Mr.gasket .026 head gaskets this will put you somewhere between the b-body 10:1 and the f-body 10.4 and make the quench about as good as possible without bottomend work. Then pick another cam we might be able to help if you can tell us how wild you want to go, the CC304 is mild and would work well with a blower but we can recommend something bigger if you like.

There is a guy on the b-body boards who runs boost+juice with a HOT cam and stock iron heads and gone low 11s he says he bought the cam before he realized it was not well suited to that setup but is sofar pleased with how it works out. I take that to mean it is working reasonably well but I wouldn't do it again.
__________________
96 Caprice with advanced Induction 200cc heads and cam package. 11.567 and 116mph
http://http://i120.photobucket.com/a...eMGR/11567.jpg
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...620at11584.flv
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Torque_Wrench's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the Sticks of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to Torque_Wrench
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT4 package is not blower freindly even doubt even the strongest LT4 supporters would recommend using those parts with a blower. I would second the Trickflow heads recommendation and go with the Mr.gasket .026 head gaskets this will put you somewhere between the b-body 10:1 and the f-body 10.4 and make the quench about as good as possible without bottomend work. Then pick another cam we might be able to help if you can tell us how wild you want to go, the CC304 is mild and would work well with a blower but we can recommend something bigger if you like.

There is a guy on the b-body boards who runs boost+juice with a HOT cam and stock iron heads and gone low 11s he says he bought the cam before he realized it was not well suited to that setup but is sofar pleased with how it works out. I take that to mean it is working reasonably well but I wouldn't do it again.
I don't want to get crazy, crazy with the cam.....basically I'd like to have one comparable with the Hot cam.....I really like the fitment of the GM Performance Parts...but everyone seems to tell me that the Hot Cam is no good with my application. What do you reccomend as far as the cam...??
__________________
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab: Mostly stock this time around! Loud pipes | Nitto Terra Grapplers | Billet Grille | Caddy Handles | Dark Tint | Diablosport Custom Tune. All protected by my anti-theft system called...Glock20 10mm!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Torque_Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
Banned
Garage is empty, add now
 
Cheater's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: dallas
Posts: 833
Default

we got a powerdyne with 8 psi lt4
Cheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,372
Default

Comp has a few grinds you could look at.
http://cmotorsports.com/engine/lt1-l...ft-design.html
Scroll down a little to the supercharger list I would probably say stick with one of the first three listed. Cost a little more than the HOT cam but are optimized for blower use.

Also seeing as the LT4 springs are marginal for the HOT cam NA the boost you would be applying to the backside of the intake valves would make them insufficient so there is another part of the kit that this time just flat out would not work.

Just because someone says "I did that" does not mean it was a good idea too few are able to say "I did that BUT would recommend you go another route".
Also with the heads and cam you will not see as mjuch boost as boost simply put is a measure of how much air IS NOT getting into the chambers and stacking up in the intake. The freer flowing heads and cam will allow more in. Just wanted to make sure you were aware and didn't get worried when you found it out after the swap.
Look at the top car on this page http://dan.esteban.com/impalass/ReturnTopET.asp
This is CMs Impala with their ported Trickflows and not all that wild a cam it is running something like 28psi boost, took them awhile to get there but it is the fastest know LTX b-body and did so at Vegas altitude.
__________________
96 Caprice with advanced Induction 200cc heads and cam package. 11.567 and 116mph
http://http://i120.photobucket.com/a...eMGR/11567.jpg
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...620at11584.flv
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Torque_Wrench's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the Sticks of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to Torque_Wrench
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Comp has a few grinds you could look at.
http://cmotorsports.com/engine/lt1-l...ft-design.html
Scroll down a little to the supercharger list I would probably say stick with one of the first three listed. Cost a little more than the HOT cam but are optimized for blower use.

Also seeing as the LT4 springs are marginal for the HOT cam NA the boost you would be applying to the backside of the intake valves would make them insufficient so there is another part of the kit that this time just flat out would not work.

Just because someone says "I did that" does not mean it was a good idea too few are able to say "I did that BUT would recommend you go another route".
Also with the heads and cam you will not see as mjuch boost as boost simply put is a measure of how much air IS NOT getting into the chambers and stacking up in the intake. The freer flowing heads and cam will allow more in. Just wanted to make sure you were aware and didn't get worried when you found it out after the swap.
Look at the top car on this page http://dan.esteban.com/impalass/ReturnTopET.asp
This is CMs Impala with their ported Trickflows and not all that wild a cam it is running something like 28psi boost, took them awhile to get there but it is the fastest know LTX b-body and did so at Vegas altitude.
HEY YOU'RE THE MAN, DOG!!!!!! sO....A SET OF TRICK FLOW HEADS, AND A COMP CAM (BLOWER FRIENDLY).....AND KEEP THE LT1 INTAKE......AND I'M GOOD RIGHT?
__________________
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab: Mostly stock this time around! Loud pipes | Nitto Terra Grapplers | Billet Grille | Caddy Handles | Dark Tint | Diablosport Custom Tune. All protected by my anti-theft system called...Glock20 10mm!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Torque_Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
METALBEAST's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, Georgia
Posts: 3,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
HEY YOU'RE THE MAN, DOG!!!!!! sO....A SET OF TRICK FLOW HEADS, AND A COMP CAM (BLOWER FRIENDLY).....AND KEEP THE LT1 INTAKE......AND I'M GOOD RIGHT?

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row
__________________
1997 Camaro Z28 M6
1997 Mustang Cobra Build #6158
1991 Mustang GT M5
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t1975/MCE2.gif
METALBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Torque_Wrench's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the Sticks of Virginia
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to Torque_Wrench
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Sounds like you have your ducks in a row
HEY BEAST....CAN YOU TELL ME THE TRICK FLOW PART NUMBERS OR THE HEAD NUMBERS I NEED?

ALSO IT SEEMS TO ME....I NEED TO CHANGE MY PULLEY BACK THE THE 7 POUNDER...INSTEAD OF MY 9 POUND PULLEY. JUST LAST NIGHT....MY BLOWER EVIDENTLY BROKE AN INTERNAL BELT AND IS NOW NOT WORKING!! SO NOW I MUST FIX THAT ALSO......
__________________
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab: Mostly stock this time around! Loud pipes | Nitto Terra Grapplers | Billet Grille | Caddy Handles | Dark Tint | Diablosport Custom Tune. All protected by my anti-theft system called...Glock20 10mm!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Torque_Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,372
Default

After the heads/cam swap you could put the 9lbs. back on and like I said it wont build that much pressure so it would be easier on the blower parts other than you will be spinning them faster with the higher reving cam package.
__________________
96 Caprice with advanced Induction 200cc heads and cam package. 11.567 and 116mph
http://http://i120.photobucket.com/a...eMGR/11567.jpg
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...620at11584.flv
96capricemgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
METALBEAST's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, Georgia
Posts: 3,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
HEY BEAST....CAN YOU TELL ME THE TRICK FLOW PART NUMBERS OR THE HEAD NUMBERS I NEED?

ALSO IT SEEMS TO ME....I NEED TO CHANGE MY PULLEY BACK THE THE 7 POUNDER...INSTEAD OF MY 9 POUND PULLEY. JUST LAST NIGHT....MY BLOWER EVIDENTLY BROKE AN INTERNAL BELT AND IS NOW NOT WORKING!! SO NOW I MUST FIX THAT ALSO......
Here is the part number and more info on the Trickflow heads from Summit


http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...ch.asp&x=9&y=6
__________________
1997 Camaro Z28 M6
1997 Mustang Cobra Build #6158
1991 Mustang GT M5
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t1975/MCE2.gif
METALBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
blown, cam, dyne, flow, hot, hp, impala, lt1, lt4, parts, power, powerdyne, supercharger, trick, upgrade


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details