LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 roots blower intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 roots blower intake

Been working on a blower intake for my car, just thought I'd post a few pics up. None of these pieces are finished but it gives you an idea. Why am I building this you ask?? Well, if all the measuring I've done is right then I will have a roots blower on my car WITHOUT cutting the cowl. Never know, I might make a few kits if it works out good and there is interest.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Boy do I love having extra cowl clearance unlike you F-body guys. I'm sure if you wanted some help you could ask Keith Mease from NJ about the Roots blower setup he designed for us B-body guys.
Matt
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Nice work, looks a bit rough though, is it just a first run? Or the actual product. Keep us informed!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen pics of the blower setup for the B body cars, it's too tall. Mine won't be the typical sheet metal intake. The top will be flat and even with the top of the sides, no runners just a big open plenum. If I didn't have to work all the damn time I could get something done on it.

As I said in my first post these pieces aren't complete yet, still gotta drill the holes in the side pieces and cut the other end of the bottom piece, but if yer referring to it being rough as in not being polished or something well, it probably wont be polished, too much work.

Soon as my angle vise gets here I'll drill the holes in the sides then bolt them up to the motor to get a measurement for the top piece. I haven't made up my mind exactly how I'm gonna do the top yet, got a few ideas though. After I get everything for the intake cut and welded up then I have to start on a CAI.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats so cool ...doing the work ur self!! good job and good luck!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

MAN what ever you do please keep us posted
Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not really interested in a blown setup for myself but I definitely want to see what you come up with. Keep us posted man
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good.

Are you going to extend the manifold port dividers into your cutouts on the side pieces, or do something else?

I love to see anyone fabricating some performance part - to me that is the ultimate in hot rodding.

Are you going to coat the final piece at all?

Jim
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Im in the market for a CAI, so if yours is nice, i'll buy it.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guy, maybe I can get some more done this weekend (long weekend) and I'll keep yall posted.

There will be no dividers in the intake, sorta like the weiand/B&M intakes for their small blowers. Not the most efficient but I think it'll work just fine.

I haven't decided what blower I'm gonna use either, I need to hurry up and do that. The M112 on the lightnings is too wide at the base, can't fit injectors in there with this manifold, the one on the cobra's would probably fit but the inlet is on the passenger's side best I can tell from pics. Those two are plenty short to fit under the cowl though. I've looked at and measured the Weiand/B&M 144, it would fit but damn they are expensive. I have a GMC 4-53 which is basically what the Weiand 144 was designed after but I need conversion bearing plates for it and the only place I have found that makes them is covered up with work and won't get to them anytime soon. Also a GMC 6v-53 would fit, same height as the 4-53 but longer and puts out 177 ci but again no bearing plates. I'll come up with something soon I guess.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Just out of curiosity, if you don't have some type of runner, won't that cause the air to get trapped in the intake and result in a loss of hp?

If it does, I understand it's not going to be that much of a difference. Don't think I'm criticizing, I just wouldn't want you to go through a big effort like this and have regrets after the fact, or even have it cause a problem for ya. Good luck with the prototype!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand what you mean by trapped?? It's forced induction, it'll get shoved where it needs to go. Like I said it's probably not the most efficient setup but it must be ok if Weiand and B&M are selling them without runners. I would prefer to have runners mainly for the injectors, to make sure the fuel goes into the intake port it's suppose to. The injectors will be right there at the port of the head anyway but with trying to make the intake and blower fit in such a small (short) place it's dang near impossible to have runners with this setup. I could probably put some really short ones in but I don't think it would make much difference. I'm no expert by any means but we'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, I should have made it with a tented floor but oh well, maybe if I make another one it'll get it.

Last edited by NXSLT1; 12-19-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula WS6
Just out of curiosity, if you don't have some type of runner, won't that cause the air to get trapped in the intake and result in a loss of hp?

If it does, I understand it's not going to be that much of a difference. Don't think I'm criticizing, I just wouldn't want you to go through a big effort like this and have regrets after the fact, or even have it cause a problem for ya. Good luck with the prototype!

when a valve opens... all the fuel and air will be sucked inthere by the vacuum the piston creates... but in this case the supercharger will PUSH it into that cylinder... if no valves are open.. and one does.. ths upercharger is going to push as much into that cylinder as it can
Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey if it works for carbuerated motors, it'll work better for EFI.
If it were me, I'd put some sort of divider between the ports to help contain the injector spray. Even if it only protruded into the plenum by an inch it would help...
But then again it may not even be necessary if you get those injectors as close to the port as possible.
Good job so far, keep us posted for sure.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
Hey if it works for carbuerated motors, it'll work better for EFI.
If it were me, I'd put some sort of divider between the ports to help contain the injector spray. Even if it only protruded into the plenum by an inch it would help...
But then again it may not even be necessary if you get those injectors as close to the port as possible.
Good job so far, keep us posted for sure.
that is a suggestion.. i though about it.. but it is unnessecary.... wont help really. THe injector pulses when the intake valve opens and the injector is right at that port.. so that is where it is going to go... shouldn't be a problem
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

someone did that a few years back, but they cut the top off a stock manfold and used it.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would love to see this when its done!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

wow, if it comes out nice id buy one from u if i could use it with a good blower like Kbs for mustang
Old 12-20-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
someone did that a few years back, but they cut the top off a stock manfold and used it.

I did the orginal one. It was nice and torquey and a lot of fun. I pulled it in favor of a vortech T trim aftercooled. The vortech makes about 100 more HP and the same torque with the same boost.

The eaton was more fun on the stree though!!

I came to t the concluesion that injector positioning didn't matter. Why, Have you ever seen a TBI with the aircleaner off at a idle? fuel is just puddling aorund the TB blades. Also, cars like mine are bank to bank and they don't fire the injectors per intake cycle.. rather 1 bank at one time and the other bank at the other time.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alvin
I did the orginal one. It was nice and torquey and a lot of fun. I pulled it in favor of a vortech T trim aftercooled. The vortech makes about 100 more HP and the same torque with the same boost.

The eaton was more fun on the stree though!!

I came to t the concluesion that injector positioning didn't matter. Why, Have you ever seen a TBI with the aircleaner off at a idle? fuel is just puddling aorund the TB blades. Also, cars like mine are bank to bank and they don't fire the injectors per intake cycle.. rather 1 bank at one time and the other bank at the other time.
you think it would of worked better on a 94+

was a cool setup, big props to you on that.

Quick Reply: LT1 roots blower intake