LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help Tuning! 94 Procharged Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Tuning! 94 Procharged Z-28

Hey everyone new to the forum and I could use a little help. I bought a 94 Z-28 awhile back and it didnt run when I got it. Sense then I have done, wires, plugs, coil, maf, tps, iac ,02 sensors, temp sensor, electric water pump, timing chain, lt4 knock module, swaped ecu's and more I forgot. But it still dosnt run right. It is Procharged and intercooled, has CNC heads, custom grind cam, bigger injecors, slp headers, msd ignition and a bunch of other stuff. It is ok when it is cold but once it warms up it hesiates stumbles and hickups and just runs like ****. I have run out of ideas on what to check and also the car has no tuning. From what I was told ny previous owner her just added everything and never added anything to control everything. I was thinking about buying tunercat. But I have no experiance with any programs so I figured I would ask to see what you guys opinions are. I will be buying a Innovate LC-1 wideband 02 real soon so that should aid in the tuning. Any input will help Thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Well it should be no suprise that it runs like **** on the stock tuning with all of that.

Tunercat is a great program and you can do basically anything with it, but if you have no experience tuning you might want to order a mail order tune for those mods that you can load as a starting point.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the great advice. Can you reccomend a mail in tune. I have looked at a few different places but sense I have no experiance with anyone of them. I want to see what you advise is before I buy. Also I went to the Tunercat Site and I am a little confused which setup I should buy for my 94 Z-28, I already have a laptop and the cable to go from laptop to obd port on the car. I am not sure if I will need that cable but I do have one. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

PCMforless has a solid reputation and lots of F-body combo's in there library.
Fastchips (Ed Wright) is supposed to be really good too, but after he tunes your pcm he locks it so that no-one else can tune it. He charged my buddy $100 to unlock his pcm.
Fasterproms (Jeremy Formato) is the ****! But Jeremy is better at tuning on the dyno than he is at doing something mail order. Although, Im sure he can get you a good enough base tune to start from.
Ive got personal experience with PCMforless and Fasterproms... If you really want to learn to tune your car, I'd just get a base tune mail-order style and start tweaking from there. Being that your car is supercharged, I would recommend skipping the mail order base tune and just have it tuned proffesionally on a dyno.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
Fastchips (Ed Wright) is supposed to be really good too, but after he tunes your pcm he locks it so that no-one else can tune it.
Haven't done that for over three years.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really, it was just last year he sent it to you to have it unlocked... Right after he bought the car from his brother. Im not sure exactly when it was originally tuned, although It may have been up to 3 yrs ago. Anyway, Im glad to hear that you dont do it anymore. Its definitely more fair to the car owner that way.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be nice to get a sticky at the top where people can post bin/tune files for others to see and compair.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help. I will look into the mail order tunes for the baseline. Sense the car is supercharged it would be nice to get it tuned by a pro. I have done a little bit of tuning with my 97 GSX, but that is only with a S-AFC and wideband. But not as indepth as the Camaro will need. I am going to look around and see if I can find any shops with a reasonable price for a tune in the Mass area. I know SpeedInc will do a full do for my car for $450. If I can find a price near that I will, but I cant afford much more. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by 300zxls1; 01-14-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

I have been searching online but not really having any luck finding a Shop with a Dyno to tune my 94 Supercharged Z-28. Does anyone know of any in the Mass area. Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Not sure about Mass. there are several in Hartford though.

http://www.xxtuning.com/

http://www.bristoldyno.com/
Old 01-14-2006, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help. But it seems like neither of those shops do PCM reprograms. That is what I am looking for. I am hoping to find something like the LS1Speed deal for $450. I cant afford BS3 or any other EM so I figure this will be the best I can do to get my Z-28 running right. Here it is:

GM Basic Tune
LS2/LS1/LT1 "Basic tune" Includes the following:
-Desired fan activation temp (for low temp t-stats)
-Torque management removal (a must for LS1 automatic cars with aftermarket converter)
-Rear O2 sensor codes deleted (for cat-delete cars)
-Speedo calibration (for gear and tire height changes)
-Desired idle speed (for "lopey" cams)
-Skip shift function delete
-Shift points optimized
-Injector size changes
Only $150, that's less than 1/2 the price of a handheld programmer - Click for Mail Order Form

LS2/LS1/LT1 complete DYNO-tune
-Includes everything in our "Basic tune"
-Complete Air/fuel table optimization for maximum HP
-Complete Timing table optimization for maximum HP
-Includes Dynotime and printouts of dyno runs w/wideband Air/Fuel reading

LS1 $450 for naturally aspirated
LS1 $500 for blower/turbo cars
LT1 $400 for naturally aspirated
LT1 $450 for blower/turbo cars[B]
Old 01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

What are your thoughts on having a mail order tune, I don't know about all the guys but madz28 (Ion) has a deal where you can buy a cable yourself and get the .bin emailed to you. If you can't find domeone to get a dyno tune from at least by mail you'll be in a better position than now, prices are not bad also.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

I had thought about it but most shops charge $300 for a mail in tune and then I still need to ship them my ECU for more $$. Also there is no way a mail order tune can be as accurate as a live dyno tune. For the extra $150 I would much rather have a dyno printout with whp numbers(worth $75) and a accurate tune(priceless). Also I dont know what the specs are for my cam or if it really has CNC heads. Sense I havnt had the car apart and I bought it already modified. So I think a live dyno tune will be the best and safest tune for me. I just need to find a shop that can flash the ECU with a new map and dynotune for around $450 in the Mass. area. Thanks for the help. I wish SpeedInc. wasnt over 1200 miles away from me.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Does anyone else have any recc's for a Dyno tune for my SC Z-28 in the Mass area. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I could help, but im in FL and dont really no of anyone in your area...
Your on the right track in wanting an actual dyno tune, the car will run much better and make more power that way. With dyno tuning my stock procharged motor, I picked up 50hp over a PCMforless mail order... And I was able to get almost all my driveability issues corrected.
Whoever you choose to do a dyno tune, should take the time to do some driveability stuff on the street too... When my car was done (for $500) by Jeremy Formato at RevXtreme, we spent an hour and a half on the dyno and then the same amount of time on the street smoothing everything out (idle, and part throttle tuning) to make it a nice street driver...
Old 01-15-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

You should ask in the eastern forum. I'm sure they would know of someone that does dyno tunes in your area.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:35 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help again. I will make a post in the eastern forum to try to find a tuner near by. Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Mail Order Tune

I know a lot of people bawk at mail order tunes and granted that all cars are not equal, but when you have tuned several cars (like a couple of hundred) then the tuner has a very basic program of what each car needs. Granted Dyno with a wide band is the way to go especially Nitrous and Forced Inducted but I have done several mail order tunes for Nitrous and Forced inducted with no problem, usually will take one or two adjustments. But for maximum performance, Dyno tuning is the way to go...
Old 01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks