LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car will not start after rain, Opti?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not start after rain, Opti?

My car has been having problems as of late , that it will not start after it has sat in the rain overnight. But after a few days of clear weather it will. Could it be the optispark in anyway, shape or form? Or is it something else that i am overlooking? Please help, im going nuts. If anyone thinks its not the opti and they have any advice please chime in, i really appreciate any info possible, because its reoccuring. My car is a 94 camaro z28
Old 01-20-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

this mite help but i dont know if its been replaced or how the line would have got unplugged. but crawl under the car and look straight up at the opti. if you see a black vaccum line hanging down the its probably sucked some water up in it. but thats just my guess and i know they do fall off sometimes cause it happened to me.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Teching In

lol i might have just got a false hope up. Umm im not sure but is this vaccum line the thing that makes the 95 and up optisparks "vented"?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that would be correct. you should have the unvented setup. i have heard of water getting in or condensing in the cap and not being able to start. only thing i could think of.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

we are having the same problem with another one here, I just replace the opti last weekend, because he sprung a leak filling it with antifreeze. started right up. rained again thursday night, and Friday the car would not start, checking through everything, and it is all checking out ok. I might try swaping out maf's on a couple of them to see if that does anything, unless anyone has a way of checking maf's.

Quick Reply: Car will not start after rain, Opti?