LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

More Problems After LT Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default More Problems After LT Install

So I got my headers in a month or so ago. Well I had an exhaust leak that caused it to run rich and foul plugs. So I replaced all plugs and fixed the leak at the same time. I also reset the computer by disconnecting the battery (atleast thats how I think its done). Well I drove it today and it was fine for a while, and then it started doing the same thing it was before. What would cause it to do this (run really rich). Im sure there is no more exhaust leak. But maybe it is an issue with the O2's. I dont know, any ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Running rich is definatley a sign of bad o2 sensors and you will not always get a code either, thats the good news. Now for the bad. I don't know what brand of long tube you went with but your oxygen sensors may be too far from the combustion chamber, which means there not getting hot enough. So there not giving the computer an acurate reading which may also be why your running rich.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Im running pacesetters, and I see you are as well. Have you had any problems with this sort of thing. I was also under the impression that it had something to do with the O2 sensors or the home made extentions, just wanted to see what everyone else thought about it.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:47 AM
Launching!

If you don't get your computer tuned, you'll run rich no matter what you do.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Launching!

I understand there is nothing is nothing I can do about runnign a little rich after header install, unless i want to get a tune. However the car is running rich enough to foul out the plugs in under 100 miles.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Launching!

You said You had home made extentions, did You use butt connectors to splice the extensions or did You solder them? If You spliced them with butt connectors that could be the problem because there is more resistance, thus sending a inaccurate signal. Your best bet is to just buy a set of o2 extensions.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97BlackLT1TA
Im running pacesetters, and I see you are as well. Have you had any problems with this sort of thing. I was also under the impression that it had something to do with the O2 sensors or the home made extentions, just wanted to see what everyone else thought about it.
Well I too would worry about but spliced oxygen sensors, I'd solder them or buy the extensions. You don't want to have to worry about problems like that. Im running midlength headers so there was no need to have to extend the sensors. I did however buy new oxygen sensors when I put the headers on just in case. I hate to see you spend $100 bucks on oxygen sensors for nothing buy it may actually help you.

I don't know about this having to get a tune after putting headers on, I've never heard of that. I didn't and my car not only ran fine it passed emissions so I don't think I was running rich. I think the long tubes are whats causing your problem. I don't know if a tune would correct that problem but in your case it might. Your oxygen sensors are gonna be colder than normal so maybe a tune will compensate for that. I honestly beleive thats why your running rich.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Ok i didnt see the midlength part in front of that. I think the problem might be a faulty signal to the computer from the O2 sensors due to the home made extentions. As far as I know when that happens it goes full rich/full lean. Someone let me know if im wrong. So maybe thats what the problem is and purchesing/installing pre-made extentions will fix the problem. What do you think

Thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97BlackLT1TA
Ok i didnt see the midlength part in front of that. I think the problem might be a faulty signal to the computer from the O2 sensors due to the home made extentions. As far as I know when that happens it goes full rich/full lean. Someone let me know if im wrong. So maybe thats what the problem is and purchesing/installing pre-made extentions will fix the problem. What do you think

Thanks
Correct, very rich. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used the extensions instead of splicing. But even so, I can see that the computer is still adding extra fuel since the new exhaust is making it more efficient. I see O2 readings as low as 25 sometimes. Did you put in emission's headers or race headers? If you have an EGR leak it could make it look lean and then the computer would add fuel to richen it up.

Quick Reply: More Problems After LT Install