LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Window (not motor) replacement...Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Window (not motor) replacement...Tips?

I posted this in 67-2002 firebird section and nothing yet. I had my window broken over the weekend, thanks to worthless people who have nothing of value of their own.

Ive found about 3 millions hits on window motor replacement, and ive done the window motor myself. I took a window out of a car at the junk yard, obviously its a little hard to hurt glass, so i wasnt very cautious with removal of any parts, and it was a massive pita, as well as 28degrees outside, I wasnt exactly taking my time!

Issue is the window has glass shards everywhere and i cant handle it like a whole window, some people say the window is held in with only 2 rivets, I dont have a rivit gun to replace them, but this would make life alot easier if i can drill them out and instead of taking the entire track out of the door and try to get it back together.

If anyone has done this and has tips, speak up please!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you replacing the window frame with the new glass? or just the glass? As in just glass no frame that has the slides for the regulator rollers? To get the window out you have to remove the triangle guide at the front of the door and then the outer weather strip if the frame is still attached. Be careful with the outer weather strip because the clips go into thin fiberglass you will also have to remove the felt guides. Just use a sharpie to mark where all of the bolt are located before you loosen anything so you can set them back close to where the original was. I had to remove mine and did it with out taking out the motor or regulator but you have to guide the rollers off the tracks one at a time by having the motor / regulator still powered and using the window switch to move the arms up and down until the rollers are clear of the tracks and then out of the way to remove the glass. Same with putting it back in. Hope that’s what you meant sorry if it’s not.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like a pain. The window I ganked out has the track on the bottom of it.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
I posted this in 67-2002 firebird section and nothing yet. I had my window broken over the weekend, thanks to worthless people who have nothing of value of their own.

Ive found about 3 millions hits on window motor replacement, and ive done the window motor myself. I took a window out of a car at the junk yard, obviously its a little hard to hurt glass, so i wasnt very cautious with removal of any parts, and it was a massive pita, as well as 28degrees outside, I wasnt exactly taking my time!

Issue is the window has glass shards everywhere and i cant handle it like a whole window, some people say the window is held in with only 2 rivets, I dont have a rivit gun to replace them, but this would make life alot easier if i can drill them out and instead of taking the entire track out of the door and try to get it back together.

If anyone has done this and has tips, speak up please!
Sorry to hear that man. I do about everything on my own cars, but when it comes to glass I call my mobile window guy.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not bad to do the glass. they use 1/4" rivets to hold it on. if you dont have the right size rivet gun just use a 1/4" bolt . be careful not to over tighten them. also use a crimp nut.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

clear plastic, duct tape, 5 minutes, done.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
clear plastic, duct tape, 5 minutes, done.
might as well just buy a window net and throw some nascar stickers all over it.

1/4 inch nuts and crimp bolts might be a plan. I think theres 3 of em instead of 2 like i read befor, atleast it looks like 3. Got lucky i found a window that easily and quickly though.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
might as well just buy a window net and throw some nascar stickers all over it.

1/4 inch nuts and crimp bolts might be a plan. I think theres 3 of em instead of 2 like i read befor, atleast it looks like 3. Got lucky i found a window that easily and quickly though.
should only be 2. one on each end of the track.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest it's not bad but if it's your first time you will need to play around with where the lift arms need to be in order to get the thing off and on the tracks so it can be removed. Then you just put the new one in. reasemble everything and test it. adjust if needed. It should be really easy to get the old one out since there is no glass now and you will have to play with the new one to get it on the tracks but it's not a big pain just gota do it slow so you don't mess up the glass. Make sure the roller stud on the new window frame is good and tight and not loose in the frame other wise the window will have play in it and you will need to weld it to the frame. Thats what broke on mine and caused all kinds of problems getting the window to go up straight.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Well im trying to tackle this today, **** just seems to not be in my favor at all this morning.

I got the window seal at the top of the door partially off, no idea how to get it back on afterwards, those arnt 1 use clips are they? And i cant for the life of me figure out how to get the roller off the track thats closest to the hinge. Ive got the other 2 rollers offand this one just seems to hate me.

I dont have anything to cut the rivit stud with thats blocking the roller from comming off. Dremel is at another house. Gah. Might just have to come back tomorrow.

******* morons who break windows, i think if you break a window, someone gets to break one of yours, and you have to fix it yourself, insurence doesnt do it, and you cant take it to a shop. Just to teach the ***** a lesson who do this. All those nice tiny shards of glass are great to work around, plus windows like these are stupid. Not sure why GM couldnt make a window like everyone else for these cars and just use a pinch bolt
Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Find someone on craigslist that does window repair. You can probably find someone to put it in for under $50.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Well my dremel idea worked like a champ, I just wish i had the dremel last time and i wouldve avoided alot of cursing! New window is in and all rollers and tracks are in and tight, window seals against door weather stripping great.

Now, this "outer window sweep" is giving me issues, it has clips on it that dont seems to go in like they came out. Anyone deal with this piece when replacing a door? Its on the top outter edge of the door, runs the entire lenght and under neath the mirror. and seals to the window..

Quick Reply: Window (not motor) replacement...Tips?