LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

P&P heads and intake on a stock engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P&P heads and intake on a stock engine

Hey,
I was just wondering if I could port and polish the stock intake and heads on a all stock 95 engine. I know that a engine will make more power the quicker you get air in and out of the car and was wondering if this would help at all or would it just be a waste of my time? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, it would definitely increase your horse power.

The bottom end has little to do with horsepower. (ie. if you built a fresh 383 bottom end and stick the same old Lt1 heads and cam back on it... you might see a 15hp gain at the most)

Now, if you get a really good port job, I'd watch your bottom end. I'd say if you have < 80,000 miles on the bottom end... go for it. If you get the right port job and valve train, you can see 400 rwhp. Look up Lloyd Elliot, Advanced Induction, or Edwards Motorsports.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

aight well my cars got 93k miles on it :-( But, couldn't I just slighty increase the ports on the heads and match em to the intake and maybe just smooth everything else out? Im not lookin to put a cam or anything in the engine right now I was just wondering what gains I would see out of P&P'ing them?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You would NEED to go a cam it is the first restriction in the motor. The intake can be done but it is much better than older smallblocks and for milder applications will not offer a whole lot of gains.

There are a couple companies that with heads and cam can get you 400REARWHEEL hp on the stock bottomend if you have the headers and such to support it, in stock form the car might put down more like 240rwhp, might tickle 300rwhp with a strong bolton car. A built stroker wont put down much more peak HP but will have a stronger torque curve.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

aight well I dont really have the money for a cam right now because im doin headers and such. 96capricemgr, you said I could still do the intake though right? I was just basically gonna clean up the ports and where th tb goes. Also this wouldnt effect my pcm or anything else at all would it?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

I ported set of heads and intake and cam from Lloyd Elliot runs about $1900 with new springs, valves, etc. All you would have to buy is new rockers, timing chain, gaskets. Thats what I am doing.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrenuf4me
aight well I dont really have the money for a cam right now because im doin headers and such. 96capricemgr, you said I could still do the intake though right? I was just basically gonna clean up the ports and where th tb goes. Also this wouldnt effect my pcm or anything else at all would it?
The intake shouldn't hurt anything. Far as the pcm, not reprogramming it when you mod a car would be like not retiming or rejetting an older carbed car, you would at best be leaving a lot of power on the table.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll answer your question sense no one else will. Yes you can P&P your heads and intake on a stock LT1. Will it make more power? Yes. Will you make more power with a cam? Yes. You can still drive your car on the stock program but you will get better MPG and better drive ability with a tune.

Here is my experience with P&P heads on a stock LT1
Before
96 TA A4,Hooker lt's, FIPK, home made Y, flowmaster, csi wp, stock tune, = 285rwhp and 307rwtq on a dynojet..afr 12.2

New set up
Mac mids, the Y is crushed pretty flat, flowmaster, csi wp, FIPK, LE2 heads, 1.6rr, home ported intake, 3.42 gears,mostly stock tune, With 10 deg of knock retard so the graph is all over the place still pulled up to 310rwhp at 5400rpm and the spikes where in the 320 range past that. Torque was all over the place too but was still in the 320rwtq range at 4500rpm. AFR was 12.5-11.8.on a dynojet

Quick Reply: P&P heads and intake on a stock engine