LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

grrrr...low rpm mis and rough idle in warm weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grrrr...low rpm mis and rough idle in warm weather

like the title says. when its cool(like 50 or below) the car runs fine. above 50 degrees outside the car just flat out runs like **** in the low rpms and at idle.

ive checked the wires to make sure none were touching the exhuast manifolds, checked the vaccume lines..all of them are in place, and checked to see if maybe i had a disconnected sensor.. which there wasnt. i checked the intake bolts and exhaust manifold bolts they all seem to be torqued down.

no ses light at all

opti was replaced about 6 months back along with the water pump. had new lifters,fuel injectors,fuelpump,fuel filter,pushrods and plugs and wires put in also.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS CAR?!!!?!?!?!?!? somebody PLEASE help me out here.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

o2 sensors? try running it in open loop and see if that makes any difference

is wot performance reduced at all? if not then O2s are a possibility
Old 04-07-2006, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

once im wot its fine. ive been leaning on it being the 02s but just wanted to make sure.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

not to hijack the thread.. but why can't the wires touch the exhaust manifold? I assume it creates a path for the spark to escape?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by VanbibberLt1
once im wot its fine. ive been leaning on it being the 02s but just wanted to make sure.
Definitely check o2s then. O2s are not used when it's cold or at wot, so if it runs fine under both of those condtions, but not otherwise, that's most likely the problem.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM

I apologize for bumping a 5 year old thread, but I've been pulling my hair over this same exact problem for over a year now and have had no luck, and found this thread in google. I'm to the point where I'm about to just throw parts at it and hope it works. I've replaced the o2 sensor, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the IAC... Notta.

To sum it up,
Random low idle in warm weather (above 50)
Random stalls when stopped
Performance issues when happening
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

IAT sensor? I'll have to find the correct resistance range specs, but you can see if it responds at all by watching the resistance change when you hit it with a hair dryer...
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by savethelinoleum
not to hijack the thread.. but why can't the wires touch the exhaust manifold? I assume it creates a path for the spark to escape?
Because it will melt the jacket/insulator on the wires giving the conductor a path to ground preventing spark from reaching the plug.

Check codes. Try unplugging MAF and running car. If it runs fine/better with the MAF unplugged, that's your culprit.

Quick Reply: grrrr...low rpm mis and rough idle in warm weather