LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Relays gone bad already??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Relays gone bad already??

So I just found out my cooling fans are NOT coming on. So my friend came over with a test light and tested my relay for Coolant fan #1 and #2. Both were bad. He tested it by using a simple wire (speaker wire) and plugged it in where he was getting power and the ground, once he did that the cooling fans turned. So I KNEW that was the culprit. So today i went to autozone and got new relays and I plugged them in and they wouldn't come on. What could this be? Loose wire at the bottom of the relay fuse box? I mean my buddy did it using speaker wire so why did the relay work? Could they be bad really?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

ALSO! When i put a new thermo in (which was the stock 195 thermo) I could see that the guy before me had put in a 170 thermo. I though the thermo was bad so I changed it. So now I know it's the relays so i thought that info might help you guys hlep me!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

u do know the stock fans dont turn on untill 226 degrees right?? have ur pcm reprogrammed to make them turn on sooner
Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dragframe
u do know the stock fans dont turn on untill 226 degrees right?? have ur pcm reprogrammed to make them turn on sooner
Thnanks! That was my next question! I guess it doesn't matter cuz i started it about 45 minutes ago and the temp just kept climbing and climbing and no fans came on.

Whats the process where you can make a switch to manually turn on the fan? I'm sure alot of you have done it? Any instructions on how to do so??
Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBirdWs6Zzz
Thnanks! That was my next question! I guess it doesn't matter cuz i started it about 45 minutes ago and the temp just kept climbing and climbing and no fans came on.

Whats the process where you can make a switch to manually turn on the fan? I'm sure alot of you have done it? Any instructions on how to do so??

there is actully a kit....
Old 04-10-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure the relays are good, the problem might be that the PCM isn't turning them on. Turn on the A/C and both fans should come on. Do they work that way?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Not to hijack or anything, but I am having a similiar problem. But when I turn on my a/c the fans do turn on, but they dont when the temp hits 220+. Does this mean its not the PCM which is confused?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think when turning on the AC it is just ONE fan. Not COMPLETELY sure. But if the relays are truly good then the only answer is the computer. I'm sure you could fix this with a tune, you could tell teh fans to come on even earlier around 180 or something to go along with your thermostat. I had the 170 thermo in mine but accidently put the 195 in. I'm going to take it back. It has to be the computer. Seeing we have the same year i'm sure it might be a common problem?

Quick Reply: Relays gone bad already??