Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump?

Ok guys. So I installed the following this past weekend:

MSD Gm 8226 Blaster Coil
AC DELCO ICM
MSD 8.5MM plugs wires

Once all done and hooked up, car ran good. Shut if off. Went to start again and didn't want to start. WOuldn't even fire most of the time unless i turned the switch of and back on a few times, this would only allow a short start. So, I go about rechecking everything including firing order, etc. All checks out fine. So, I get some assistance to help me while i shoot some carb cleaner down the intake to see if it fires up. Sure thing, fires right up but only runs till all the carb cleaner is used up. Now the weird part. Let it sit for a couple hours. Come back to it, try to start it, fires for a short period, try again and low and behold, it runs fine. I shut if off and call it a night. I went back out the next morning and it fires right up again. Well, I took it out around a couple blocks, got on it and the power was there. half a block from home and it just dies on me and back to the not starting thing. Let it sit a little bit and get it started and ran enough to get it back into the garage. I'm assuming its the fuel pump is shot. Is there a relay that could possibly be getting hot as it only dies when warmed up?? I'm gonna install a new fuel pump anyhow, but, could there be an alternate problem?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

check fuel pressure. that will probably tell you if it's the pump
Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Well, my brother posted this for me as i really didn't want to start an account on another board, but, anyways, i had the pressure tested before all this due to a stumbling and dieing that accured every so often when driving and taking off from a stop. the pressure came out as follows:

35w/vac
42wo/vac

I installed all that stuff and things cleared up for awhile. Stumbling came back after about 20miles of driving and than it started the whole not starting thing out of the blue when the car was warm. I introduce an outside source of fuel(carb cleaner down the intake) and it fires right up. Thus this leading me to believe its a fuel problem. Let the car sit for a couple hours and it will start up again and run until its warmed up and than runs like chit and will eventually die and not start.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bad ignition module?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

brand new AC DELCO Unit. But, I will put the old one back in and see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Its NOT the ignition module. It wouldn't fire over just fine if it was that. It will start but run like crap
It only starts doing this when the car warms up.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9formula4
Its NOT the ignition module. It wouldn't fire over just fine if it was that. It will start but run like crap
It only starts doing this when the car warms up.
Well it just so happens your wrong. When i had a faulty ignition module it would run fine for 15 mintues and then cut out and not start for three hours and would come on perfectly and would go out. I'm just saying it's a possibilty and it sounds like it.

Could be a pump as well but he said he had pressure. It's not like no one has never got a part brand new and didnt worK!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

True. I've read so many posts about new ICM and them actually being faulty. But, I'm also gonna try a new fuel pump relay also. I'll try all the little and cheap things first before i get around to getting a fuel pump or opti.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

ok. So, i test the current to the pump. I get a reading of 13.*** when the relay enrgeizes and than it goes back to 0 after the relay kicks off(not trying to start the car, just putting it in the run position). First off, once again, AutoCrap sold me the wrong part. I need the 4-pin relay and they gave me a 5-pin relay. So, now i gotta take that back. So, spray carb cleaner down intake again and it fires up. Ok, wish i could check fuel pressure, but can't, due to car cannot drive to go to a shop and i don't have a pressure tester. Well, I took the cap off the shreader valve and depressed the core, fuel barely dribbled out of it. Tried reseting ecm. Tryed to start and got alittle blip. Sprayed carb cleaner again, no dice. Now I am personally thinking its the worst case scenerio on this one. As, from what I've read, the opti will control whether the fuel pump runs or not correct? But, its got me confused, it should still prime itself when you turn to run position am I not correct? But, grabbed my spark plug wire tester. Had my bro crank it over while i tested everything. Nothing on the plug wires but do have current on coil wire to the opti. This is getting very frustrating and I am to the point of where i think I'm going to have to replace both the opti and pump .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump?