LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 dropping oil (still)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lt1 dropping oil (still)

well, just completed my intake manifold gasket replacement (did the whole notorious LT1 manifold oil leak procedure), did that whole thing...only to find out she's still dropping oil...same place, same amount.

She only drops when the car is in nuetral and she's idleing or...when i turn her off, she dumps the mother load...

Im at the end of the line gents....can anyone please help me out?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phrozen755
well, just completed my intake manifold gasket replacement (did the whole notorious LT1 manifold oil leak procedure), did that whole thing...only to find out she's still dropping oil...same place, same amount.

She only drops when the car is in nuetral and she's idleing or...when i turn her off, she dumps the mother load...

Im at the end of the line gents....can anyone please help me out?
Where is it leaking from?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

did you allow the RTV to cure for atleast 24hrs... Assure all your bolts are torqued to spec in proper order, and that the manifold is not warped??
Old 04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

definitely check what Buff said and your sure it's leaking from the manifold right? By chance was this an engine swap? Reason I ask is the oil pressure allen screws in the back of the block have to be in tight, missed one of mine once and it poured out. Also check make sure your oil sending unit isn't leaking, driver side behind intake.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

if it's on the driver's side make sure the oil filter adapter isnt' leaking either. IIRC the filter adapter on teh F-body is similiar to the B-body and ours usually need a new gasket and o-ring
Old 04-14-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did what Buff said...thanks so much for the advice!

Checked the back of the manifold...bone dry, checked the oil sender...dry as a bone too...whats freaking me out is....the metal shell protecting the flywheel has the most oil....Im about to say its a rear main seal that went....

If it is a leaky rear main seal, and seeings how I cant drop my tranny in my driveway...I know that certain shops will charge more than others...is it safe to say that in labor, it'll be betweeon $700-$900?

Thanks again gents!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Yea your making it sound like is is that rear main seal. That will cause it to go down onto the bellhousing cover. Not sure what a shop would charge?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

For about $45 you can get a leak detector kit with some flourescent dye you add to your oil and a special light. Clean everything as good as you can - even a steam cleaning if possible. Then get the car up on jackstands and have someone do what normally makes it leak. Wear a face shield, and point the light around - the leaky oil will glow like crazy. I found a leak that was driving me crazy. Hot oil moves around so where you see it dripping maybe nowhere near the leak. Pep Boys had it in stock.

At least you will know exactly what is wrong so you are not asking a shop to find it for your $$$.

Jim
Old 04-15-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

could also been oil pan gasket