LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Powerdyne SC owners????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerdyne SC owners????

How have you liked your powerdyne supercharger? Is it worth the cash? About to put one on my 93 Heads and cam package LT1 but wanted to know if it was worth it. Is there any modification needed to be done? I already have a high volume fuel pump and svo 30lbs injectors so fuel is taken care of. Can you add intercooler to these set ups? Thnaks to all those with info.........
Old 04-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Teching In

my buddy had one on his ls1 and it sucked, nothing but problems. Go vortech or procharger instead.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There belt driven and to small for an inter cooler, look for a used Vortec S trim or ATI P1SC
Old 04-14-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are garbage.
If you want to supercharge and are on a budget that doesnt allow a new one, def. look into used Vortech or Procharger kits.
I got a used D1-sc twin intercooled kit for the same price as a brand new Powerdyne. But not untill after I played the game and bought then broke a Powerdyne kit
Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder what you guys are doing wrong to break your Powerdyne superchargers. I ran one for almost 5 years on my daily driver and put 42 K miles on it and never had a problem. The Powerdyne supercharger is a good low cost supercharger for a basically stock Camaro/Firebird. If you're looking to make 500+ hp then it's the wrong supercharger. If you try and force it to make 500+ hp then you're gonna have problems. But then the ATI had lost of tensioner problems and the Vortech units are know to blow up as well. So it's a risk running any supercharger. What are you guys doing that your're breaking your Powerdynes? Hopefully not 4000 rpm clutch dumps because that's not the superchargers fault.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem I had with the Powerdyne was the internal belt. It lasted and worked fine when I had an automatic, but after the M6 swap it broke almost immediately. Upon dissasembly, it was found that the impeller made contact with the housing at one time or another, the bearings were about played, and the belt frayed and snapped. The blower was used by a good friend before I bought it, and he didnt have much more than 3K miles on it. I put every bit of 10K on it before it bowed out mid run at the track. Although I did launch at 3000rpms that run. I didnt miss shift, over-rev, nothing like that. The d@mn thing just stopped boosting and fell flat on its face.
From what I hear, its common for the bearings to go, causing the belt damage and impeller to housing contact.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drove my car every day(even in the snow) and towed my boat to the beach and back with it and never had any problems. I would get 26-28 mpg on the highway on 6 hour trips with an A4 and 3.23 gears. I think the biggest problem was most guys would tighten the belt too much and that would destroy the bearings. It was never meant to be a racing supercharger and that seems to be where guys ran into problems. Add clutch dumps and slicks or drag radials and forget it. At the power level he's already at with cam and heads, I would not use the Powerdyne, I would go with ATI or Vortech and even then getting a used setup could be dangerous if the head unit is not up to snuff.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very good points there.. Except one. How does someone build a supercharger kit that was not designed for racing? I mean most (not all by any means) people that would be interested in putting a supercharger on one of these cars is doing it to win more races.
I bought both my blowers used, but knew there history very well so was/am not worried a bit.
1SLO6-
Your fuel system is NOT 'taken care of'. If your already making 428rwhp, those injectors are gonna be WAAAAAAY too small once any boost is added.
I maxed out 42's with the stock motor making 450rwhp on 10 intercooled psi. The only way those injectors are gonna feed your motor is if you run the FMU which is just unreliable.