LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fans will not run!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fans will not run!!

just a few days ago my car started to overheat. one of my friends with a 93 z had the same problem, it was his thermostat. i went to autozone bought a 160 thermostat, installed it and no fans still. so i went back and got the sensor(forgot what it was called) that goes on the water pump, installed that, and still no go. my friend that was having the same problem said that the thermostat he bought was faulty, i am getting ready to check this one and see if it is good or not. does anyone have any suggestions, i am out of ideas except for wiring the fans into the ignition fuse so they will start when i start the car, but i would like to avoid it at all costs if possible.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow. Hahah. Seems all these trans ams fans are not just NOT coming on. About 5 of us in the last week have had the same problems. Me myself am installing a manual fan switch with a 160 degree stat and its said if you get your computer tuned, tell the person to program so the fans come on way earlier to go along with your 160 stat. Just look farther down and look for the other 5 threads and you'll see!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the thermo has nothing to do with fan operation. Fans should come on at 226 and 235. if not, you can run tests. I wrote a fan diagnostic tech article, but I do not have it on this comp.

You just need to verify that your letting the temps hit stock on temps and that the fans are not coming on. I'll see if I can find the tests.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are also two temp sensors on the engine. One drives the instrument panel, the other is for the PCM and controls the fans. I don't recall the locations of these, but IIRC, they aren't hard to replace. There are also fan relays involved. I doubt it's the thermostat--that doesn't control the fans--but it's all connected and not expensive to change it all out. Might as well do a new radiator cap also.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

i did change one sensor, it was on the bottom drivers side of the water pump, was not hard to replace at all, besides bashing my head against the bottom of the block.... i also tried to check to see if i was throwing any codes with the paperclip method, no codes, and the fans kicked on right when the paperclip made a connection. would i be ok to put it in there just to keep the fans on till i can fix it being as this is my everyday driver.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya never know if the paper clip will just fly out. See if your ac fan comes on when you turn on the ac (whether it blows cold or not)

I"m doing that for now til i get my switch!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

no they still do not run, i am going to re-wire it tomorrow night and see if i can get them running, i dont have to drive it too far tomorrow, about 2 miles there and back.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

I had the problem, I had air in the system. Make sure the coolant is full, open the radiator cap when the car is cool, let it run with the cap off and crack the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. Let it run for a lil bit with the cap off and screw open. If theres air in the system, bubbles will come out of the radiator. After theres no bubbles, tighten screw up and put the cap on. Problem should be fixed.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

really, i thought about that but i thought the fans still would have turned on. the only problem is that i have to leave at 600 in the morning, so i wont have time before i have to drive it again
Old 04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

one more question, how are you supposed to reach the screw on the thermostat housing, it seems that the intake elbow is in the way, can you still reach it?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

You cant run a cooler thermostat unless you get it tuned for it.
might check your fan motors to.

you should be able to reach it.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Never mentioned if you checked the fuses and relays.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickz
You cant run a cooler thermostat unless you get it tuned for it.
might check your fan motors to.
No, you can run any thermo you want, it just will not affect fan operation without a tune.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

all fuses and relays are fine, i know the fans are ok because when i ran the paperclip diagnostics check they kicked on. i figure i will take the thermostat out, re-seal it and then bleed the system. just to make sure i know what i am doing, i need to fill the radiator up all the way, and then with the cap off the radiator start it. then losen the screw on the thermostat housing and the air bubbles should come up through the radiator cap, and keep doing this process untill there is no more air comming through the radiator, correct or way off?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Never mentioned if you checked the fuses and relays.
like honda hunter said check your fuses and relays.
The same thing happened to me I was doing the same thing you are checking all the major stuff but i never thought to check the fuses and thats what it turned out to be. so hopefully a fuse or relay is your problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

both third gens i owned did it too, along w/ my cousins 92 bird and friends 89t/a... change the relay and the fan switch, switch is less than 20 bucks n relay is less than 5. bet you it will work if u dont already have a blown fuse. make sure you ask for the sensor for the fans NOT THE GAUGE. replace the fuse first theyre dirt cheap, then try to turn the a/c on, still doesnt work then replace the fan relay, then if that doesnt work get on the ground, unplug the fans, run a jumper wire from the positive terminal of the battery one pin and a ground to the other. just gotta test it out, its all worth it in the long run when u dont have to worry about ur car gettin hot just sittin there, especiall with summer heat coming up real soon.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

sorry didnt see the above post
Old 04-17-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

i do know the fuses and relays are ok, i checked them all. i replaced one sensor, it was on the waterpump, drivers side. im down to either trying to beed the system or oreder a new pcm tune, because i would like to have the fans turn on when they are needed, not run constantly.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

and they will not run with a/c on either
Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also could have a pair of burned out fans!

EDIT! NEVERMIND YOUR FANS HAVE COME ON WITH THE PAPER CLIP TRICK

Last edited by BlackBirdWs6Zzz; 04-17-2006 at 08:56 PM.