LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP ME! two things

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP ME! two things

#1 I cant seem to figure it out and neither can 3 diffrent shops ive taken it to when i start the car i hear the pump a hmmm sound everything lights up radio too but no engine. Gets weirder i try this a few times open door turn everything off then after i start it up again and do that a few times it starts up. Had this problem several times but everytime eventually it starts but its really annoying and guesses????

#2 Can someone give me directions on a t-top conversion on a hardtop a write up somewhere i cant find it thanks alot
Old 04-16-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

What year is your car? I had a 96 do something similar. It turned out to be the BCM or Body control module, it is located up underneath the dash on the passenger side.
I am not sure what year cars had them. I replaced mine it was like 150 bucks.
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#bcm
Old 04-16-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a 1993 and i dont know about that it just seems to be a reaccuring problem and cant seem to find it out
Old 04-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Teching In

does the motor turn over and just doesnt start?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah exactely
Old 04-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Teching In

yeah mine was doing that and mines a 93 too. i replaced the ignition control module didnt fix it replaced the coil didnt fix it replace the ignition switch didnt fix it it turned out it was the opti the optical part of it had went out. could be that but first see if you have any spark
Old 04-17-2006, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Before 1995, the OPTI's went out in them like all the time. In late 1994, they finally vented them, and that took the moisture out of it, making it work alot better. Mine would sometimes not even start. It would turn on, and just do nothing when I went to start it. Did it like 2 times, none since. I think it was just being bitchy. A little dirty talk(tough love), and it started.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thanks il look into the opti part of it thats what i was thinking but there damn expensive like 350 or so
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

With a cold engine, I would try this, It should pinpoint your problem:

The first thing we will do is verify the optical sensor is working correctly. And here is how..

Unhook 1 fuel injector connector. With your test light check for pulsing ground on the NON PINK wire while cranking the engine (different years use different color wires but all year have pink wires for the positive voltage side of the connectors) The other choice you have is to use the noid light (noid light AZ OEM part number 25143), plug the noid light into the connector and crank the car. The light should flash..

Do you have a flashing ground while cranking?

Yes, the optical sensor is sending the signal and should be ok, continue to test the ignition system.

No, the optical sensor is not working see testing opti section.

Next we will see if the coil and ICM are causing the no spark.
First on the ICM connector with KOEO check for hot (93-95) on the Pink/Black and white/black wires or (96-97) on the Pink and Dark green wires. Do you have hot?

Yes, next step
No, (93-95) Check for hot at the pink wire a the ign coil. If you have power at the coil, but not at the ICM, The coil is shorted and preventing power from reaching the ICM. Replace the coil and retest. If you do not have hot at the coils pink wire, check the 10 amp Ign fuse. Repair as needed and retest.
(96-97) If you are missing hot on both wires at the module, check the 10amp ign fuse, Repair and retest. If you are missing hot only on the dark green wire, but not he pink wire, the coil has shorted and is preventing the voltage from reaching the module and must be replaced.

Next check for ground on the black wire. do you have ground?

Yes, next step
no, repair ground

next test for a pulsing ground at the dark green wire(96-97) or the White/black wire (93-95) at the coil coming from the ICM. Do you have a pulsing ground?

Yes, next step
No Replace the ICM *note, I have seen a bad coil burn up an ICM. It might be a good time to replace or upgrade your coil*

next with your test light check for hot on the Pink wire at the coil. do you have hot?
Yes, Replace your coil *note, High resistance from bad plug wires can burn out coils. You can Ohm test plug wires or replace them if wanted*

No, Check and repair ign fuse and retest

OPTI testing

If you failed the injector pulse test we must make sure that all the power is getting to the opti.

With the test light and the car on KOEO, unplug the opti connector at the optispark and test for hot at the red wire at the opti. do you have hot?

If yes. Next step

if no, the pos feed comes from the computer. Check that the PCM is sending the signal, if not then you might have a faulty PCM

Next, using a multi meter on volts scale, test the red/black and purple/white wires for 5 volts. Do you have 5 Volts?
Yes, next step
No, The 5 volt reference is provided by the PCM, possible PCM failure or PCM power feed problem

Next, test the pink/black wire for ground. Do you have ground?
Yes, then the optical sensor is not working and is probably bad. based on the other tests run this is causing your no spark condition. It’s time to replace your opti. You can also check for corrosion or damage to the opti connector and replace as needed.

No, the ground is provided by the PCM, possible PCM failure or PCM power feed problem.

Best of luck, and I hope it helps.

Cliff

Quick Reply: HELP ME! two things