LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

short tubes to long tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short tubes to long tubes

i was wondering if it would be worth it to switch to long tubes instead of short tubes for upgrades, or should i do something else to my car
Old 04-23-2006, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

i would, i am over the summer. if you plan on doing a cam or porting heads or something like that for sure do LT's. theyre just a better header IMO.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Longtubes will be a big upgrade!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Launching!

long tubes are good for top end. shorties are better for low end torque.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98vortecbw
long tubes are good for top end. shorties are better for low end torque.
You've got this backwards. Decreasing the length of the pipes tunes for power in the top end, while sacrificing low rpm scavenging and torque. This is why shorties don't do much unless you are revving the car to the moon. Longtubes are better than shorties on most cars because their length is conducive to power where most of us need it. If you are going to be spinning your car to 8,000+ rpms, then large diameter shorties might work nearly as well as longtubes.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Didn't we just have two threads like this ? Just do a search under this section of the site.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Teching In

yes upgrade especially if you ever plan on doing heads,cam etc....
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea there was a thread that was almost exactly the same.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont even know why im doing this...

anyway i went from shorties edelbrocks to flp long tubes and didnt gain anything.
i had most bolt ons, plus the hot cam. dynoed 344 356 before the long tubes and the same after.
didnt gain anything at the track either.
AT YOUR POWER LEVEL your not going to gain much if any.
unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket get them... if not i would spend the money else where.

personally i would get a stall if your an a4 or gears if your a m6, you will see more of a gain.

Last edited by blkchevyz; 04-28-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a set of Pace Setter Shorties. The collectors rusted. I am getting Hooker LT's while I fix a blown Head Gasket. I think LT's look better, and my first mistake was Pace Setter stuff. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
I had a set of Pace Setter Shorties. The collectors rusted. I am getting Hooker LT's while I fix a blown Head Gasket. I think LT's look better, and my first mistake was Pace Setter stuff. You get what you pay for.
yeah i didnt pick my shorties for looks, i got the uncoated ones... they looked like **** after i ran them for 5 minutes... paint cooked right off

when i put my cam in i did pull them out and painted them with some high temp silver paint... looked good for about a year... then went to ****
Old 04-28-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Your gains will be MUCH better with longtubes vs. shorties!! There may be a difficult to explain fluke every once in awhile, but longtubes are the proven winner hands down! Longtubes are much better even on a bolt on car. I'm suprised there are still people who even question this.

ps. Do a search to pull up some of the older threads and you'll see longtubes are the way to go!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Get LT's and just throw Shorty's in the trash, shortys are a little better than stock manifolds. But as stated just do a search there are numerous threads on this exact subject.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, one right after another, do you guys plan this

ring ring, mr bill get on ls1tech, that guy posted that shorties are just as good as long tubes... let get him
Old 04-28-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

No just trying to let people have the proper facts and not some uneducated advise on some turd *** Shorty header fan. If he wants to waste money buy Shorty's he wants to make power buy LT's just stay away from Pacesetters. My friend has mild heads,pacesetter LT's, and a 125 shot thru a th-350 runs 6.96 in the 1/8th.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrBill97396
No just trying to let people have the proper facts and not some uneducated advise on some turd *** Shorty header fan. If he wants to waste money buy Shorty's he wants to make power buy LT's just stay away from Pacesetters. My friend has mild heads,pacesetter LT's, and a 125 shot thru a th-350 runs 6.96 in the 1/8th.
turd ***?? are you 12?

what does what your friend race car have anything to do with this post?

your friend is probably making a tad more hp then this guy

are your goign to tell me he's going to gain more going from shorties to long tubes then he will if it get a stall or gear... oh come on
Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
turd ***?? are you 12?

what does what your friend race car have anything to do with this post?

your friend is probably making a tad more hp then this guy

are your goign to tell me he's going to gain more going from shorties to long tubes then he will if it get a stall or gear... oh come on

Dude you really need to get some facts straight, you make erront post on how great shorties are on your car and how you didn't gain from LT's. Which I call total B.S. The statement of my friends STREET car was in reference to an earlier post on Pace Setters. Have you read this thread ? Your misinformed and miseducated to the obvious facts, stall won't help produce power, dou you know what a stall does ? And as for gears why would he need gears to make power? Are you telling me you made more power with gears installed ? In fact who cares about dyno numbers they mean squat unless you put the power to the ground, if he did'n buy LT's he would be better off tightening up the suspension. FYI nope not 12, Shorty's are turd *** headers the sooner that you realize this that is one step in the right direction for you. Next I am sure you will post that power adders are all a myth too. Oh and my buddy's car makes mid 300's not alot of power in reality.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

What exactly is wrong with Pacesetter LTs?

Mine fit and look better than any Hooker LTs that I have seen. The Jet hot LTs that I have seen are total sh*t as well. There have been tons more problems with Hooker and JH Lts than Pacesetter LTs.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrBill97396
Dude you really need to get some facts straight, you make erront post on how great shorties are on your car and how you didn't gain from LT's. Which I call total B.S. The statement of my friends STREET car was in reference to an earlier post on Pace Setters. Have you read this thread ? Your misinformed and miseducated to the obvious facts, stall won't help produce power, dou you know what a stall does ? And as for gears why would he need gears to make power? Are you telling me you made more power with gears installed ? In fact who cares about dyno numbers they mean squat unless you put the power to the ground, if he did'n buy LT's he would be better off tightening up the suspension. FYI nope not 12, Shorty's are turd *** headers the sooner that you realize this that is one step in the right direction for you. Next I am sure you will post that power adders are all a myth too. Oh and my buddy's car makes mid 300's not alot of power in reality.
where did he say that he wanted more hp? he said an upgrade... yes an upgrade could mean more hp... also better track times, or hell even appearence... and where did i say that gears and and stall make power? your streching for an argument now.
sounds like you need to go back and read.

oh and people bragging about there friends race cars is
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by azvforce
What exactly is wrong with Pacesetter LTs?

Mine fit and look better than any Hooker LTs that I have seen. The Jet hot LTs that I have seen are total sh*t as well. There have been tons more problems with Hooker and JH Lts than Pacesetter LTs.
1 5/8th's compared to 1 3/4 I believe.