LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

diasble the Traction control????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default diasble the Traction control????

Any body get rid of TCS, How do you just yank whole setup. Will it screw anything up???
Old 04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your ABS will not work. You will also need throttle and cruise cables from a non tcs car. Here's the write-up I followed:
http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf...eadjuster.html
Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Who got TCS, that's no fun.... Must of been some old guy that had that car.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Helpful thanks alot
Old 04-26-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Helpful indeed. I wonder why he said it was too expensive to convert the PCM to a non TCS setup? If I recall correctly, I can disable tcs with my LT1edit software.
So, I would imagine that it wouldnt be that bad to keep the ABS when deleting the TCS system, unless it would involve replacing BCM's or anything like that. Im gonna check with an extremely reliable source on the PCM/BCM issue.
I know the diff with the brake lines, and to me it could be solved by simply putting a tee on the single line from the ABS block to the two lines going back to the rear.
Then you'd be able to eliminate the TCS brake box by replacing it with that T. Especially since factory non-TCS cars use one line to the rear, with a T to plumb each brake.
Plus as far as I can tell, a proportioning valve would not be needed if your keeping the ABS block. I always remembered GM not using valves, but adjusting the size of brakes and passages through items like the master and ABS block to properly proportion the brake bias.

After seeing that writeup, I spent about an hour looking at my car. Since the TCS system has been such a PIA for me, I might dive into removing it. If anything for the sake of having more engine bay room. But only if Im positive that I can keep the ABS, which is looking more and more easy.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
Who got TCS, that's no fun.... Must of been some old guy that had that car.
For me, it was the sweet old lady that bought it new. Then sold it to me
Old 04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

That old lady wanted to have some fun I guess. My Dad got a 1996 Corvette Collectors Ed. (LT4, T-56, I want it), and it's a Convertible on top of that. He got it from some old guy. He never drives with the TCS though, taught me not to drive with it either...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always turn mine off as soon as I start the car. I only turn it on if I get caught in the rain (happens alot in FL) when its really worth having.
But, I havent been daily driving my car lately, and dont plan on it much after the rainy season starts either. So, Im seriously looking into deleting the TCS system.
For several other reasons including:
1) My procharger plumbing would fit much better without the relocated TCS box sitting just to the left of were the factory air box would sit, and were the two tubes now come into the engine bay from the intercoolers.
2) The throttle control portion of the system is ugly on my polished aluminum valve cover.
3) Its just alot of extra bullsh!t in my way in an already cramped engine bay. And it would be more inviting to work on than anything else right now because of the extra space becoming available.

Damn, you guys see why these boards are evil? Because it only takes reading an interesting thread to get you modding something else. Im now seriously gonna start digging into the TCS system next week in the attempt to permanently remove it from my car. But also LEAVE the ABS system in tact and functioning. Should be interesting to say the least.