LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil pan gasket help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan gasket help!?!

hey i did a search and could find anything on this problem. My buddy and i just finished putting the oil pan gasket in his ta and for about 3-4 days it was fine but now im getting some leakage from both front and back of the motor. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? if so what was the remedy? thanks for any and all help!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

did u get the felpro rubber oil pan gasket and did you silicone the front and rear of the oil pan.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

i dunno what brand ...it was one piece and blue....i will have to ask my buddy about that....
Old 04-29-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

plus when you change the oil pan gasket you have to be carefully you dont tear the timing chain gasket as well....double check that.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Teching In

which is the timeing chain gasket? tdo u mean the timing cover gasket?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ohh damn who attempted this project without knowing their parts of the motor?????? Ok here is a quick but brief explaination...... When u remove the oil pan there is a aluminum piece on the front of the engine hanging down about 3 inches or more which looks like a semi circle.... It might be dirty but is an aluminum color. that's the timing cover. you dont have to worry about a gasket there on the bottom half but, you have to put a bead of silicone running from one edge of the cover to the other side..... so if u are directly underneath the car facing longways like the car front to back u have to put silicone from side to side running underneath the timing cover(aluminum part) just to be safe do it from edge to edge. About a 1/4" to 3/8" bead of silicone should be OK... Do the same to the back side there is another aluminum semi -circle and on the oil pan... same procedure... CAREFUL make sure u can all surfaces be fore installing take some brakeleen and clean it all real good... make sure no old silicone is left from the old gasket or oil drip from the motor... USE ultra grey or ultra black silicone...... Make sure before u do all this that it is clean and dry enough to eat off of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude this is like a $350 dollar FREEBIE!!!! good luck e-mail me if u have any more questions....
Old 04-29-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Get To Work U Have To Take It All Apart Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help! i guess we have some more work to do !