LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Blown Head Gasket

I have been posting around this forum about a 383. The reason I am looking into one is because I blew the Head Gasket in my car. The #7 Cyl is where it is burning Anti-freeze, and mis-firing at low RPM's. The Anti-freeze mixed in with the oil. I was able to start it until the day before I left for Iraq, It blew like 2 days before that. I took the Headers off, and plugged the ports. I took the #7 Spark Plug out, and sprayed that Cylinder with WD-40. I also sprayed under the Valve Covers. It didn't overheat, it actually blew taking off from a stop sign.
Does anyone think that this engine is junk, or is it still good? What are any problems that I might have besides a possible warped Head?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't be junk at all. Fix the head gaskets, check the heads for warp, spray each cylinder lightly with penetrating oil, new plugs, change the oil and run it a bit. Then change the oil again. See what happens next.

Jim
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

That's what I was going to do. Some guy in here had the same problem as me, but he drove it for like 8 weeks, and all his Main Bearings went to ****. I drove it for like 5 min, and started it just to keep everything moving so nothing would seize before I sprayed it.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket