LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant Leaking Somewhere!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coolant Leaking Somewhere!

So the other day i was otu driving around and noticed my temp gauge start to rise. I didn't think much of it at first since i have a low temp stat so my temp sits really low anyways so I keep driving and was jsut gonna check it when i got to where i was going. WEll once I got there and popped the hood i see all this coolant blowing out of what seems to be like below the radiator cap below the coolant tank line and below the heater hose line. It seemed to be blowing like off the radiator somwhere between where the heater hose hooks in and that metal tranny line hooks in. I let it cool and added more antifreeze since it was really low. Now at first i get no leak but after a littel while it starts to drip from the bottom of the radiator as if it is jsut rolling off it. I don't know where it is comign from though sicne you can't really seee the radiator that well. I checked all my hose and lines real good and don't see any there. Do you think i have a small hoel somewhere in my radiator and it isnt leakign till i get the radiator hot?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I almost had the same exact thing. When the car is cold it won't drip, when it gets hot and builds up pressure then it'll start shooting out. If it isn't at an ideal pressure, it will heat up. I had a crack in the plastic about half a foot under the cap. Small crack but it could n't be repaired. So Looks like it's time to get another radiator and camp. Do some hoses while your at it. Save your self some time.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Yah i looked at it really closely this morning and it has the same thing it is a small freakin crack below the cap that only leaks when it gets hot. Guess a new radiator is going in today oh well i might replace some lines while i am at it liek you said.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah. It took me 3 days to find cuz first it would leak and then it wouldn't. But glad you found it. I guess they are notorious for cracking there. I found a used one on here and have that. Do that or just get a new one. Install it yourself too. Not very hard. just DON"T LOSE THE BLEEDER SCREW! I made that mistake and it caused alot of trouble.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leaking Somewhere!