LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT's Must be Coated??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT's Must be Coated??

Is it critical that LT's be Coated? I have heard that it is a must or the AC Evap gets toast, and I have heard that you can save the $150 or so and just get the painted ones. Whats the scoop? Anyone running painted ones with no ill effects?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

LT's do not need to be coated. However it is a great idea as it extends the life of the longtube against rust, and lowers engine bay temps dramatically and makes it a hell of a lot easier not to burn up wires in the car. I have two sets for sale actually in the classified section. However do not think that the paint will do anything, it will burn off on the first few heat cycles.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I got the coated and now it's coming off. I kinda wish I had saved my money and got the painted ones.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I got the coated and now it's coming off. I kinda wish I had saved my money and got the painted ones.

No you don't trust me. Instead of the coating coming off, you would have gaping holes in your primaries and collectors which would then lead to alot more cost.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroguy22
No you don't trust me. Instead of the coating coming off, you would have gaping holes in your primaries and collectors which would then lead to alot more cost.
So you said no they don't need to be coated now your saying if they arent they produce gaping holes in the primaries?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
So you said no they don't need to be coated now your saying if they arent they produce gaping holes in the primaries?
They do not need to be coated to run. If you read all of what I posted instead of trying to be a smart a$$ about it and attempt to make me look stupid you would get it. Bottom line no you don't need ceramic coating to run a LT header. As stated earlier it would be good to have coated headers since it increases the life of the header. dhdenney lives in a similar climate to me where things rust real easy. In some climates ceramic coated headers will last 10 years plus. In his and my case the coating will not last as long, still the coating will give you added protection over a non coated header. So as previously stated in his case where the coating wore off, if he had no coating it would have made huge holes instead.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Damn.

I was just trying to ask a question because I was confused and looking for your insight, not trying to play you off a fool. Ehhh sorry now I know.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Damn.

I was just trying to ask a question because I was confused and looking for your insight, not trying to play you off a fool. Ehhh sorry now I know.

No problem, sorry I took offense to it. If you would like take a look at the "Jet Hot 2000 Blue Coated Hooker Headers" thread in the classifieds section. Those headers were used for about 24 months (if that?) and have developed holes. The 2000 coating is Jet Hots best and most durable coating. If you do a search you will also see that some people have Jet Hot coated headers from 1996 and still look brand new. It depends on the climate alot and if you also drive on salted roads during the winter.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

A guy i know got some non coated pacesetter lts. I looked under his hood and they were hideous, seriously very ugly. He said they looked great till about 30 minutes then they just turned the ugly color(s). We asked him if he wished he'd have gotten the coated he said definately.

Take it with a grain of salt and do with it what you will
Old 05-31-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

just do it right and get coated.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought mine used and they happened to be coated, personally I hate uncoated headers just because they look bad.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

I know its overpriced, but what about the no rust coating you can buy (about $80 a gallon) plus header wrap? This is actually almost equal to the price of just buying coated headers though most likely. Personally I am on an extremely tight budget and just want the cheapest remedy.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I know its overpriced, but what about the no rust coating you can buy (about $80 a gallon) plus header wrap? This is actually almost equal to the price of just buying coated headers though most likely. Personally I am on an extremely tight budget and just want the cheapest remedy.
I have heard awfull stories of header wrap. Sometimes it traps in the moisture and makes it rust worse. Why try to cut corners when there is a huge market of used LT's.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Another general question: I know there are a lot of people like me that do not like buying used exhaust pieces because they bend/twist/warp..basically form to the previous car they were on. I know used catback is a bitch to get on but with headers are they that much (thicker?) where they fit fine? I know the primaries would be a little stronger than what on catback pieces obviously..
Old 06-01-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard awfull stories of header wrap. Sometimes it traps in the moisture and makes it rust worse. Why try to cut corners when there is a huge market of used LT's.

Thats what I did, deals to be had, I have never bought headers new, to many good deals to pass up.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Another general question: I know there are a lot of people like me that do not like buying used exhaust pieces because they bend/twist/warp..basically form to the previous car they were on. I know used catback is a bitch to get on but with headers are they that much (thicker?) where they fit fine? I know the primaries would be a little stronger than what on catback pieces obviously..
I have never had a problem with headers being bent twisted or warped. How would you twist or warp a primary? That must not be an easy task. I opt for welded on catbacks anyways, screw bandclamps. My used loudmouth that has been on my car for over three years fit just fine.
The only part of the header I could possibly see becoming warped would be a flange, but even then I have never ran into that problem. If that is your concern then buy Jet Hot brand headers they have the thickest flanges in town.

Last edited by Camaroguy22; 06-01-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The coating on the headers isn't to deflect rust, it's to provide better heat escape so it's not sitting on top of your engine bay. Any header coating you have will rust, no matter what it is.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blind527
The coating on the headers isn't to deflect rust, it's to provide better heat escape so it's not sitting on top of your engine bay. Any header coating you have will rust, no matter what it is.

That is a false statement. One of the coatings purposes is to lower engine bay temps, another is anti corrosion.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Pulled directly from Jet Hots website:

JET-HOT® develops, produces and applies a variety of coatings. Properties of the various coatings include insulation, corrosion resistance, abrasion and impact resistance as well as lubricity. All are applied at one of our regional factories through a meticulous, multi-step process including: thermal degreasing, abrasive-blast stripping with virgin aluminum oxide, double-coating (inside and out on headers), high temperature curing, custom packaging for return shipping, and quality-assurance controls during every phase of the procedure.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is a false statement. One of the coatings purposes is to lower engine bay temps, another is anti corrosion.
No, it's not a false statement....

If it was false, then anything I said wouldn't be true. Which, in fact, it is. The Jet Hot coating protects rust corrosion for what, 50 miles? My headers started to rust immediately, and so did many others that have them. The Jet Hot coating is not made to resist rust corrosion, no matter how much they say it does. Many of the people the buy them thinking they won't rust are in for serverly disappointing results.

Quick Reply: LT's Must be Coated??