LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Haunted Formula please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haunted Formula please help

Well I guess this problem has been there since I bought the car a few years ago. Its an automatic '94 formula btw.

The car seems to run perfectly for about 20 minutes then it will begin to badly misfire and not want to accelerate, also sitting at a light after the misfireing it will rev up on its own to about 1,500 and fight the brakes, so on top of the mechanical problems everyone thinks I'm trying to start a race with them.

About 6 months to a year after I got the car I took it in and they fixed the distributor cap and told me thats why it was misfireing and so forth, then about a year later the problems came back and I took it somewhere else and they fixed the cap and said the distributor itself was the problem so they replaced that as well. Now another year later as soon as the warrenty is up the problem is showing its ugly face again.

Has anyone else delt with this or have any advice for me, or is this car going to have a yearly thousand dollar tune up.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the optispark (distributor) on LT1's are pretty weak and can break due to water damage. I believe the water pump or something that can drip water is above the opti. It may have been leaking since the original problem and may be the continued cause.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

my old T/A did the EXACT same thing. It was the opti.

2 hours and $275 dollars later I had a brand new distributor, cap and rotor installed and it ran great.

Quick Reply: Haunted Formula please help