LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What do you think about this cam???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about this cam???

The specs are 224/234 .560/.576 on a 110 Its going on a car with stock heads that will probably be port matched and a few other small things i can do myself. I know its going to lope pretty good, which is what i want. What are yall's opinions on it?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would say that the lift is too high for stock valves take your valve diameter and divide by multiply by .25 and that will give you the max lift for the valve diamter.....for instance a 2.02 flows optimal with 500 lift on a flow bench after the optimal lift even going another 100 lift you may only gain 5 cfm at that point you are just working the valvetrain and engine.............only a certain amount of air can flow through that valve bore efficiently
Old 06-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What? no the lift is not too high for stock valves. The .25 L/D rule is where the valve is most restrictive to the airflow in it's travel. This is shown thru calcuations of curtain area relative to flow, it will always be lowest at the .25 L/D ratio.

FWIW a good LT1 port will gain a lot after .25 L/D things start slowing down in terms of gaining CFM the more you lift the valve in the .30 L/D range. There are still instances when you want to lift the valve even more than that as well even though you are not gaining CFM by what the flow bench says at 28" of H2O.

Bret
Old 06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That cam is not too far off of the specs on my lil Joe O. cam...Mine's got a nice chop to it at 900 rpm idle. Obviously, it will be optimized with ported heads, bigger valves, etc...I don't know the goals for your car, but I like those "smaller" duration cams with bigger lift....

--Alan
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ABA383
That cam is not too far off of the specs on my lil Joe O. cam...Mine's got a nice chop to it at 900 rpm idle. Obviously, it will be optimized with ported heads, bigger valves, etc...I don't know the goals for your car, but I like those "smaller" duration cams with bigger lift....

--Alan
John Lingenfelter was always an advocate of less duration and more lift for a street car.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, eventually the car will get a good head and cam package, one that really compliments each other, but for now its just going to be a cam car and i'll probably do some port matching on my heads, nothing major because im nervous enough about doing that to them. I dont mind a lope, i actually asked for a cam that is pretty choppy, i love that. O well, i guess in a few months ill get some numbers up, thats really the only way to be sure

Quick Reply: What do you think about this cam???