LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Error code 16-Low resolution error.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error code 16-Low resolution error.

Ok. I pretty much got the jist of what this code means. If I am using the delteq system, would this still be the opti crapping out, because you still use the otpi for the cam pin sensor right? Am I getting warm, or am I way off. Anyone with delteq chime in.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

code 16 is coming from the sensor in the opti, the only other thing that could cause it is the wiring to the opti
Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97SprChrgd383
Ok. I pretty much got the jist of what this code means. If I am using the delteq system, would this still be the opti crapping out, because you still use the otpi for the cam pin sensor right? Am I getting warm, or am I way off. Anyone with delteq chime in.
Yeah you're right. The Delteq system is passive, in that it just waits for instructions from the PCM about when to fire and then it takes that instruction and uses it to determine which of the 4 coils to fire. There's nothing in the little Delteq PCM that changes or influences the signal coming from the optispark, so if you're getting a DTC 16, it's either gonna have to be from the optical sensor itself or a bad connection.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Thank god. Them delteqs is expensive. I have alot of crankcase pressure due to new engine and high boost, which I plan on taking care of that, but I drove it and the dipstick popped out and sprayed oil, and I think it may have gotten on the opti connector. I just hope it's just the opti cable, because doesn't that cable go from the opti to the wiring harness?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

And, what could happen to the engine if you drove the car with that problem?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Ive had that code on and off. Never effected anything from what I saw. I sent it back to dynaspark anyways to make sure and get a fresh rebuild jic.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Launching!

If the opti was bad though, or the connection, that means the opti isn't working, which means the ignition isn't going to work either right? The opti isn't doing it's job to tell the coils when to fire.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just hope it's just the opti cable, because doesn't that cable go from the opti to the wiring harness?
Yeah the Delteq harness "T's" into it. Might wanna go over that harness really carefully and see if hot oil could've possibly burned through a wire. If worse comes to worst you could always just cut the damaged part out and re-splice it together.

If the opti was bad though, or the connection, that means the opti isn't working, which means the ignition isn't going to work either right? The opti isn't doing it's job to tell the coils when to fire.
The PCM sometimes stores trouble codes. The purpose of this is to give whoever performs a diagnostic check a brief "history" of what issues the PCM has detected since the last diagnostic check so that it's easier for the person doing the trouble shooting to pinpoint or have a starting point of what to look for if there's a problem. One of the tricky aspects of this is that the PCM itself doesn't have any way to determine whether the problem was really a bad sensor or a bad wire. All it knows is that there's a problem with the signal. So there could be some cases where, if a wire is faulty causing "hit-and-miss" symptoms, your car might still be running but the first time the PCM detected a problem it stored that code and still continues to report it. This is where a human being with a brain who can do checks and visually inspect things to determine the source of the problem is required.

And, what could happen to the engine if you drove the car with that problem?
Is your car still running?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Yes, my car is still running. I just don't want to drive it if this problem is going to do any damage to it.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, my car is still running. I just don't want to drive it if this problem is going to do any damage to it.
If it's still running, there's a 50% better chance that your optical sensor is still good. If the PCM does not get the signal from the low res part of the sensor, it'll shut the fuel system off. If you're getting intermittent signal interference from a bad wire, when it's "on" again the PCM will see the signal and turn the fuel back on. If the optical sensor was shot, there'd be no signal, ever. So the fact that the car is running is somewhat a good sign. Go over your wiring harness with a fine tooth comb and see if there's any damage.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Ok, so since that error is on the pcm it has shut my fuel system off? I guess that's why it sounded like I was running really low octane fuel b/c it wasn't getting any? And also, since I AM using the delteq, same principals apply, as far as the opti still being good(even though everything is not through the opti) because the car is still running? I did hook up the datamaster to it, and after it was in closed loop, with that error, I was still getting fuel.

Last edited by 97SprChrgd383; 06-18-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so since that error is on the pcm it has shut my fuel system off? I guess that's why it sounded like I was running really low octane fuel b/c it wasn't getting any?
Yep, sounds like the signal was cutting on and off randomly. But the first time it lost that signal, the PCM stored the code. So that would explain why you saw it when you scanned it but yet the car was still running.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Launching!

How do I get the error out of the pcm? Will it go off by itself?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do I get the error out of the pcm? Will it go off by itself?
You have to have someone with a Scanmaster clear the code. Thing is, just clearing the code won't fix the problem. The very next time the PCM loses that signal it'll come right back. Gotta fix the hardware before you can fix the software.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Guess I better start looking at the harnesses, huh? Would I be able to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the pcm?

Quick Reply: Error code 16-Low resolution error.