LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

true duals too loud for a DD???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals too loud for a DD???

long tubes are next on the list, and the more and more I hear them im wanting some true duals,will they get too old after awhile on a daily driver?? ill have my A4 with 3.73s by then, im just going to get the summit xpipe kit with either bullets or flowmaster one chambers,any comments?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

im running lt, summit xpipe and flowmaster single chambers at the axle. Only difference i noticed is i have to turn the radio up a little louder. I daily drive it and am very happy with it. I run them straight out the back, dumping to the ground would drone waaaay to loud.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

i have hooker LT's on my 93 TA and i have the purple hornies bolted right up to the header and dumps to the ground under the seats... its a true dual setup pretty much... its loud when you get up on it... but i dont think its that bad... like LUCKYOU said just have to turn the radio up louder...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned

IMO, loudness is a personal preference.
How much of it you want is up to you. Personally, I love my Loudmouth and anything quieter would not be acceptable.

However...
To open of an exhaust, and it might not sound good. You might get too much rasp. Its all personal opinion.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by harvickgm
i have hooker LT's on my 93 TA and i have the purple hornies bolted right up to the header and dumps to the ground under the seats... its a true dual setup pretty much... its loud when you get up on it... but i dont think its that bad... like LUCKYOU said just have to turn the radio up louder...
I am suprised that you have enough backpressure to run them bolted to the Header..
Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

I have 3" duals on my LT1 with a hedman x-pipe and 18" bullet dumped at the rear axle and it is very loud. I thought it was awesome for the first month of driving, but after that it became a little annoying for daily driving. If I were to do it all over again for a daily driver I would definitely get a nice catback instead. As far as having a weekend/track car, then true duals is the only way to go
Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

depends on the setup of rasp... mines not raspy, but crackles on a down rev... i have a 4 inch mufflex that i havent got around to installing yet... but soon..
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had duals on a carb'd 350 in a 83 z28, I miss the sound. If you like it loud go duals. I know once I get to the big build, long tubes and duals are replacing my BBK shorties and the flowmaster catback.

Um so I guess it is how loud you like it. I feel my car is too quiet, I intend on leaving my cutout open.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

well everyone says my car right now is loud,but i dont think it is,I think it sounds good but not near as loud as I want it,my friend had slp LTs ory and an open borla on his 700hp ls1 and it got kinda annoying after awhile,would true duals be louder or as loud as his setup???
Old 06-21-2006, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why everyone dumps their true duals, I have mine run out the back under the axle and haven't scraped them at all in the 2-3 months I've had them on so far, 3" from the collector to the tips. And its not loud at all inside the car, mines a daily and I think its fine. I can talk on the phone fine, listen to the radio, ect..., its not that much louder than my hooker catback was inside the car.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

True duals out the back should be fine, true duals dumped under the vehicle before the rear axle will be obnoxious. Exhaust sound is an acquired thing and it's hard to recommend. But I just don't understand why some people want their exhaust so loud that it attracts attention from neighbors and cops. Loud exhaust does not make any more power than a decent muffled system. The problem with true duals out the back is the limited space. And I would never run exhaust pipes under the axle, it's too exposed and you will damage it eventually.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ask your neighbors.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
ask your neighbors.
Rule of Thumb: If the neighbors haven't called the cops yet, it's not too loud.

Neighbors will always tell you your car is too loud, no matter how loud it is. It's when they get the law involved that you can take it seriously and start to think "is my exhaust too loud"?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Teching In

I thought my td's were too loud at first, but ive gotten used to it. If I have a problem getting it inspected when the time comes, I might switch to a Y pipe though, and not fee l too bad about it.

Quick Reply: true duals too loud for a DD???