LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ACCEl opti CHEAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
JUICED96Z

Default ACCEl opti CHEAP

Northern auto parts has the ACCEL opti for about $100 cheaper then summit. Think it was $199. Complete opti not just the case and rotor.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ProductId=2417

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 06-30-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 199 Id get one I guess just for a back up to my dynaspark. Takes dynaspark forever when rebuilding units.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I think JCWhitney has em for 199 also.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

hmm accel opti for $199 or stock vented one for $234. I'll stick with the stock one
Old 06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How good is this accel Opti?

I might pick one up.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:14 AM
JUICED96Z

Apparently it is built the same as the MSD just with the ACCEL name and a lot cheaper. So far I have only heard good things about it. When mine goes out I am going to pick one up.
Put a link up in the first post.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by buffman
hmm accel opti for $199 or stock vented one for $234. I'll stick with the stock one
It looks like the ACCEl is vented so why would you pay more for a lesser product?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any links, and do they ship international?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here the link:

NAP - Accel opti

can we have more feedbakc about the quality of this product?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Apparently it is built the same as the MSD just with the ACCEL name and a lot cheaper. So far I have only heard good things about it. When mine goes out I am going to pick one up.
Put a link up in the first post.

it's far from the same as an MSD unit. The Accel Parts Distributor on the Impalassforum.com doesnt even recommend them. MADE in China, no replacaeable parts (besides cap and rotor) like an MSD unit, and while debateable the Accel Unit uses Oilite Bushings and not a bearing such as the MSD and stock unit. There's a reason it costs 1/2 of what an MSD unit does because it's not even close.

But then again whatever floats your boat
Old 06-30-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly what he^^^ said
Old 07-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Teching In

agreed it is nothing like the msd which has ball bearings, a 10k rpm capability and a timing advance/retard the accel opti si the same as a regular brand like a summit opti i too agree i would rather bay the extra 20 or 30 buck and have a ac delco opti then a knock off. the msd is far better and also has a higher price tag how would u get an accel opti for 200 and the msd be 500? u get what u pay 4
Old 07-02-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

I want to see a msd spin to 10k. I dont doubt it's a decent opti but I believe it's also a big amount of hype.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I want to see a msd spin to 10k. I dont doubt it's a decent opti but I believe it's also a big amount of hype.

They'll spin to 10k rpms. They showed us some test data from awhile ago from them spinning them up to 10000rpms on a special machine...
Old 07-03-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

If it can be spun that high and last every day I may just get one and use my dynaspark as a paper wieght.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down Don't buy a MSD Opti......

If your running a FAST Unit, the MSD Opti will not go to 10,000 rpm's.
You will have to use a drop in distributor and crank trigger. Don't believe what you hear about the MSD Opti.

later
Old 07-04-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PHATKOP
If your running a FAST Unit, the MSD Opti will not go to 10,000 rpm's.
You will have to use a drop in distributor and crank trigger. Don't believe what you hear about the MSD Opti.

later
im curious as to why you say that?? MSD is a very reputable company.. im sure they have done there testing on this.. thats why the release date kept getting pushed back... to make sure they had all the bugs worked out of the new units.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by harvickgm
im curious as to why you say that?? MSD is a very reputable company.. im sure they have done there testing on this.. thats why the release date kept getting pushed back... to make sure they had all the bugs worked out of the new units.
Dude 10000 rpm's is insane. He says that because it hard to believe. Unless the new rotor or whatever it's called is made of titanium...... Anyways it hasnt proven itself yet. It's a big investment and it makes alot of claims that we havent seen put to the test yet.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

ok....sooooo... what other opti do you know of that can do it... before everyone jumps on it... noone has really done some testing... so you dont know what its capable of... everybody bitched that there was no alternative opti out there for us, but now that there is one.. everybody is so skeptical... everything new you have to take a chance on... i have it in my car with no problems.. you have to take the chance to see if it will work... the delteq systems only seem to work with about 60% of the people who use them.. nothing is perfect... but we wont know what it will do until someone just buys one to see... it may be exactly what they say it is..
i would test it but i dont have a built motor, mine is stock and only spins to 6K.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

ok....sooooo... what other opti do you know of that can do it....
I dont know of one. I never said I did. I'm not the one making claims to it

before everyone jumps on it... noone has really done some testing... so you dont know what its capable of... .
That's the point. it goes both ways. Before everyone jumps on the bandwagen and spreads the word that this is the next mesiah testing should be done to know what it can really do, not what it's advertised to do.

everybody bitched that there was no alternative opti out there for us, but now that there is one.. everybody is so skeptical... everything new you have to take a chance on....
So you feel everyone should be sheep and buy this just because we dont have many choices? That sounds like a sucker and a fool to me. If nobody was skeptical we would never know what it's capable of until it was to late.

i have it in my car with no problems.. you have to take the chance to see if it will work... .
It's a $500-$600 dollar chance to see if it will work. The stock piece is half that and we know it works and the Dynaspark is the same price and has proven to work and last.

the delteq systems only seem to work with about 60% of the people who use them.. nothing is perfect... .
True. I do agree

but we wont know what it will do until someone just buys one to see... it may be exactly what they say it is...
Or it may not.

i would test it but i dont have a built motor, mine is stock and only spins to 6K.
That's my point. Seems to me like you bought into the hype. Why would you pay that much for it when the stocker wouldve been fine for your stock motor. Unless youre that special case guy that had 5 optis go out in 5 years there was really no strong reason for you to even try a piece that you cant even put to the test. I'm not saying the MSD wont work. It might even be the next great thing or it may not. Just because a product has a big name doesnt mean it will rock your socks off look at edelbrock LT1 heads. Ive seen the same amount of msd optis die as the Dynaspark and the dynaspark has mabey 3+ years on on the msd that's been outmabey 2 months and went through delay after delay after delay...

Last edited by Honda Hunter; 07-04-2006 at 11:12 AM.