LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help...Noise after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help...Noise after clutch install

So I just put a new clutch in my 94 LT1 Camaro and a little while after I started driving it around last night I got loud rattling sound. It didnt seem to be re-creatable biased on anything (clutch in, out, driving, stopped). It started in a parking lot while I was cursing around then when I came to a stop it continued. I then went away when I shut the car off and turned it back on. Then on the way home last night the only way I could seem to re-create it is if I downshifted to 3rd to slow down at a decent speed like 45 or so.

I know that I read HERE He had a problem with the the clip that holds the TB in fell out. So today I took that dust shield off at the front of the bell housing and didnt see anything odd. I then took out the clutch slave cylinder and looked in at the TB and the clip was still there in all 3 of its hooks.

I then drove it around without the dust shield and the noise seems to only happen slightly when downshifting into 3rd and using engine breaking.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be hearing? I ruled out that it cant be the dust shield or the TB clip. Could this be something like the springs in the clutch disc getting settled or something? Or is there a possibility that the machine shop could have warped my flywheel when they had to drill into it to balance it? ( I doubt it right?)

By the way the parts installed were a SPEC 2+ disk, a Fidanza Flywheel that I had balanced to match the stock one and a LT4 Pressure Plate. I torqued all the flywheel and pressure plate bolts to factory spec.

If anyone has any ideas please share your input.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

you may have not gotten the clutch aligned correctly and could be having some chatter... its not too good on a performance clutch to downshift like that and use the engine as a brake, shortens the life of the clutch even more, and since its a performance clutch its got a shorter life span then the stocker... just some friendly advice
Old 07-02-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ
you may have not gotten the clutch aligned correctly and could be having some chatter...

Thanks....I'm really out of ideas here. You think that would cause nose when both driving in gear and when idling? The only thing I think I didnt do is ....the haynes and shop manual says to lube the clutch fork. I didnt do that but the throwout bearing already had lube on it and I know your not suposed to over do it so i put it in that way ... same with the new pilot bearing.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Launching!

i was gonna say pilot bearing .
Old 07-02-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hammrman31
i was gonna say pilot bearing .
Are you suposed to lube that with bearing grease or something? The one I took out was a brass bushing which was clearly shot because it's opening was worn way bigger than the end of the trans shaft. I put in a new roller bearing that seemed to have some lube on it out of the box (not a whole lot but a little) You think that could cause an intermittent rattle/squeak sound I'm hearing?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

it could, IMO you should always lube something like that before you put it in, lubed already or not, and you could be getting some chatter, its hard to diagnose a problem like that on the net...
Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

check your braces, like the brace that goes behind the transmission, it goes below the driveshaft, exhaust, and trailing arm, i dont know what its called, but my buddy left one of those bolts loose, and it started rattling simular to what u are describing.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Well I took the trans back out to see If I can see anything rubbing or anything un-usual and the only thing so far is some scoring on the disk.

Are you suposed to lube the input shaft at all?

Last edited by Chevy053; 07-03-2006 at 12:20 PM.