LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Enternals still the same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enternals still the same?

Are the internals ie crank, rods, and pistons the same as a normal SBC? I know the other differences. Its just I see cranks for LT1-LT4 priced alot more and other normal SBC's
Old 07-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pistons are differant...the rings wont fit lt1...the crank i dont think will either due to the timing set and the 1 piece rear main seal ect...the rods are prolly the same though

i just rebuilt an lt1 and was givin a sbc gasket kit...(only reason i know)
Old 07-14-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true. The entire rotating assembly is the same as the late 1-pc rear main small block stuff.

Now the LT1 crank is balanced differently, so you have to get an LT1 specific crank, but it looks the same and it will bolt in. The balancing issue can be overcome if you get a flywheel/flexplate and have it all balanced by the machine shop.

But the pistons, rings, main caps, etc. etc. are all the same. Lifters are the same too, as are the rocker arms and some other misc things. The front water pump/timing gear/cam drive stuff is indeed different but most of the difference is in the front of the block and the timing cover.

The roller cams are even interchangeable provided you get the right dowel pin length.