LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor NOISE

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor NOISE

So I had a strange probelm with my 1995 Camaro. There was a noise in the front of the motor, everyone seemed to think it was terminal for the ole girl. Being an optimist I tore the timing cover off thinking that was where the noise was coming from. Inside there was a 3/8ths washer stuck to one of the timing gears and slapping against the case, hence the noise. Is there any way that the washer was put in there by some sort of vandal? Haven't owned the car that long (4 months) and was just wondering where it may have come from. Thanks again for any input.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

You gotta think, why would someone go to that much trouble to stick a washer on the timing gear right before they sold it? As to where it came from, I haven't a clue but I really don't think anyone would go to such lengths to accomplish such a feat.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Teching In

No, I think it was in the oil pan. The noise started when I stopped hard from a decent clip so I think it sloshed forward into the timing cover. Just curious how it could get in the oil pan. I was thinking the oil change guy may have put it in the drain hole.