LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The good news and the bad news.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The good news and the bad news.

Well I fired her up just now, she idles pretty smooth. the alternator side is a bit noisier than the other side. So i may have to readjust RRs.

Engaged the clutch and let in 1st gear and rear tires rotated(car is on jacks all 4) so so far T56 rebuild looks good. And so does my new clutch master+slave.

New starter and steel flywheel are mating correctly, happy for that.

Pro 5.0 shifter goes in tommorrow.

New hi-press. oil pump is pressurizing at 29 psi@ idle using 10w30 now!! No more 20w50!!

The bad news:

Front seal is leaking!!! where it mates with the dam timing chain cover!! I can't beleive it. Oil pan gasket is new GM replacement. Don't know how im gonna fix I really don't want to take the oil pan loose entirely. This sucks major ***. I have to tweak around with a new gasket! Never heard of such nonsense. All in all I'm glad its all working out so far, but don't like to play against new gaskets. If anyone seen this type of BS and has a tip let me know, my only guess is that it hasn't properly gone into the lip area of the timing chain cover. Bullchit I tell ya. Hope I dont fukc it up even further in me having to fukc about it tommorrow.

My intentions are to maybe loosen the front of the oil pan cover the jamming it open slightly with a small screwdriver and then trying to jam the front lip into the timing cover crease. then tightening it all up. I know I know I hate to ******* jam that screwdriver in there, hate the way it even sounds but I'm scared to cause a new leak in a new area if I pop the whole thing off.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have the ZZ4 cam, but state installed -2. How did you install -2, since it could mess with the opti timing. Or did you degree the cam, and this is just how it came out meaning the cam was -2 off. Was the timing compensated in the tuning for the -2. Just curious, I used to have this cam in my 93 M29 with 1.6/1.5 rocker split. Ran good with this cam and put up some good 1/8 mile times, never ran the 1/4. I am considering putting this cam back in, but with a possible 1.7/1.6 rocker split.

Last edited by rkinney; 07-25-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went -2 with the crankshaft sprocket, wanted -4 but was too skerred about PCM. Figured the -2 would almost be negligible and grant me some more top end. Running the 1.65rr now all the way around, cam is small enough to afford the ratio both I+E .
I told Alvin at PCMforless it was -2 but I can't confirm myself it was compensated for.

Later when I rebuild the block I will go to 7/16 studs and 1.7rr all the way around. I'm trying to get to a Ford 9 inch b4 this year is up so I can run her at the track. I am on a budget so I can't afford to risk breaking the stocker so I never been to the track on it.

Plan to run this cam till I grind it down to it's core. Is good on gas.
Want to run 3.55 or 3.73s on the 9 inch once I get it. Then N20, she's a split profile to top it all off.

She pulls hard tho, my biggest impression was against a cammed out porsche 911 on the highway he hit, I hit it, we were neck to neck, then later he started pulling, and got me by a car, but couldn't lose me past that. You should have seen his face when we were neck to neck. He gave me the bird once he got up on by a car but it really took awhile, litterally an inch by inch movement. I was shocked and I rode his bumper after that one car and he could not pull anymore. I was in no way disappointed, and I heard his cam and exhuast from 3 cars away.

She's quite the stump puller, I'm hoping to afford to prep the car to bite and launch HARD. My theory is this cam is going to make up for its not so great top end....out of the hole, the only thing is the car has to be prepped. 60 foots, 60 foots, 60 foots!!!!
N20 will make up for the rest.

Very streetable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The good news and the bad news.