LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Xtreme Blazer w/LT1...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme Blazer w/LT1...need advice

Im working on LT1'ng an 01 Blazer. I would like for some of you LT1 guru's to give me some advice as to what i should do to wake my little motor up before i wedge it into this thing.

The engine is out of 94 (or so) Roadmaster with 75,000 miles. Im trying to stay away from getting into the bottom end,but have considered working the heads a little,and/or bumping the camshaft up a notch or two. Im not going to be taking this thing to the track,so im looking to just add a little *ump*, but still be able to drive it back and forth to work.

If anyone has any setups that arent too erratic they would like to share,i'd greatly appreciate it.

Derek
Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Launching!

a hotcam and headers would be good for a daily driver
Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

new electric water pump..if not already installed..headers with some cutouts..imo
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

I say go for it and go all out. I always wanted to do the same back in the day. I say port the heads, get a nice custom cam, all the bolt ons, and some 410's. What tranny you using and what computer?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ModifiedRacer23
Im working on LT1'ng an 01 Blazer. I would like for some of you LT1 guru's to give me some advice as to what i should do to wake my little motor up before i wedge it into this thing.

The engine is out of 94 (or so) Roadmaster with 75,000 miles. Im trying to stay away from getting into the bottom end,but have considered working the heads a little,and/or bumping the camshaft up a notch or two. Im not going to be taking this thing to the track,so im looking to just add a little *ump*, but still be able to drive it back and forth to work.

If anyone has any setups that arent too erratic they would like to share,i'd greatly appreciate it.

Derek
Get new heads, if i remember correctly there Iron heads.

Comp Cams "305" LT1 Camshaft, 220 / 230, .510 / .510 114 LSA, More aggressive with good street drivability and decent vacuum. Good midrange power. 1.6 rockers will give you .544/.544 lift

Last edited by stevemilz; 07-27-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah...i have 2 options on the transmission...4L60E,or a 700R4....as for the computer,im going to talk with the guys at painless about making me a wiring harness setup for my combination....I know everything would be much easier (computer-wise) if i just went with the vortec v8 but i actually have the lt1 already, so thats the reason for using it.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevemilz
Get new heads, if i remember correctly there Iron heads.

Comp Cams "305" LT1 Camshaft, 220 / 230, .510 / .510 114 LSA, More aggressive with good street drivability and decent vacuum. Good midrange power. 1.6 rockers will give you .544/.544 lift
steve, how will this lift/duration setup effect fuel usage? I run a .550 total lift in my asphalt open-wheel modified and it seems like its a lot imo. I havent ever ran a lift quite that much on the street...so i just curious to what i could expect out of it
Old 07-27-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

roadmasters had iron heads didnt they? first thing i would look into is a nice set of aluminum heads for the thing then a cam and port the intake. and if you want a cam i reccomend a comp cams 503 grind. specs are 224/230 at .525/525 lift which would be a little higher with 1.6 roller rockers. add a set of headers, tb, stall, and gear it with about a 3.73 and youll be good for low to mid 12s depending on what you do about heads. just my 2 pennys
Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Banned

i dont see why if ur not goign to go ***** out ud even do this in the first place if this is ur " go to work truck " then why put an 8 in it gas prices are ridiculous if your going to put the lt-1 in it go crazy make an 11 second blazer thatd be bad ***
Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Because i already have a race car
Old 07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with the first guy.
get the hot cam kit, comes with everything you need. and its cheap.
it will have a nice lopy idle, and still make some good down low power.
the iron heads flow ok. might check an impala board and see if they are swapping heads or sticking with the stock iron on mild setups.

you should beable to pick up a set of lt1s off a camaro, vette, or firebird for really cheap if need be.

thats probably going to be your best/cleapest setup, yeah you could get more from a different cam, ported heads bla bla bla... but like you said you already have a race car, might as well just make this one sound good, and have a little *** to back it up.

oh and make sure the lt1 is a 350, they made a little lt1 also.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
i agree with the first guy.
get the hot cam kit, comes with everything you need. and its cheap.
it will have a nice lopy idle, and still make some good down low power.
the iron heads flow ok. might check an impala board and see if they are swapping heads or sticking with the stock iron on mild setups.

you should beable to pick up a set of lt1s off a camaro, vette, or firebird for really cheap if need be.

thats probably going to be your best/cleapest setup, yeah you could get more from a different cam, ported heads bla bla bla... but like you said you already have a race car, might as well just make this one sound good, and have a little *** to back it up.

oh and make sure the lt1 is a 350, they made a little lt1 also.
This is along the lines of what im looking to do. Just try and wake it up a little, without having to spend a lot of money, or work on it every day.

Oh yeah...as far as all of my research on the particulars of this motor goes, in 1995 the Roadmaster only came with 5.7....but if anyone else knows otherwise, let me know...i have the motor out of the buick, so if anyone is familiar with the casting #'s let me know and i'll get em.

Thanks for all the advice guys
Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firebirdformulaTA
i dont see why if ur not goign to go ***** out ud even do this in the first place if this is ur " go to work truck " then why put an 8 in it gas prices are ridiculous if your going to put the lt-1 in it go crazy make an 11 second blazer thatd be bad ***

some people just dont get going fast.... who cares about gas prices the guy wants a kick *** fast truck! If you are lookin to do it cheap a stock head port and polish with a hotcam or CC305 and some 1.6 RR's should set you up nice with a good tune and a set of headers, im guessin the f-body headers would work with a custom y pipe, but i dunno for sure, the wiring should be fun on it.....
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Wont be able to fit the F-body headers into the engine compartment....without LOTS of cutting....

The thing that im trying to accomplish with this truck is to get right to the edge of overpowering the stock suspension, but not going over it.

The ole' Buick that the engine came out of was suprisingly strong with a GVW of around 5300lbs. So i figure with this engine going into a truck that has a GVW of 4500lbs, there wont be a lot i'll need to do to wake it up. I figure i will actually only lose roughly 350-400lbs with the weight i'll be getting back for the heavier engine

Quick Reply: Xtreme Blazer w/LT1...need advice