LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crankshaft and Connecting rod endplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crankshaft and Connecting rod endplay

Well i have 3000 mi on my 355 and decided to do a cam swap and put thinner headgaskets to bump the compression and swap springs.Being i pulled the motor out to do it i pulled the pan to look everything over ive had a little noise like piston slap or something because my machinist made the bore a little loose for the forged pistons using nitrous it goes away after the engine gets good and warm.Everything looked ok i have a SCAT crank and SCAT I beam rods my thrust endplay was .011 on the crank and my rods are .019 seemed a little loose to me i dunno if SCAT adds a little extra clearence on thier stuff.I am running a high pressure 10% volume over stock Melling premium series oil pump with great oil pressure.Do you guys think my end clearence is ok??
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i pulled the rear cap and the thrust is starting to wear guess i caught it before it screwed up my crank no maetal at all in the pan.Its wearing on the side that that if i was to engage my clutch.All im running is a Centerforce Clutch i was going to put a new bearing in the back i pulled other caps and everything looks great.I was going to file a small chamfer to oil the thrust on the side that is wearing what do you guys think why this started to happen i set the thrust correctly 10-15 ft lbs and smack the crank one way and then the other with a soft hammer then tourqed it to spec.Any ideas???
Old 07-30-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your end play and rod side clearance is definately loose. I have personally run engines with similar clearance numbers, but I never worried about longevity. They were all hot rod engines, and not daily drivers. I don't know how long it will last, maybe it won't be a problem at all.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:30 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your OK.

Ed
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For crank endply I typically see .003-.007 and nothing larger than .010 flys with me.

Side clearance nothing larger than .025 and nothing tighter than .015. Ideally .018-.020 is stylin.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft and Connecting rod endplay