LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

some updated progress pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 02:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default some updated progress pics

Got to toying around with the car this weekend after getting my parts in from Billingsley racing..... Installed their manual strange master cylinder with the built in line lock and 3AN line.... Had to modify the brake pedal and drill another hole to mount the plunger to the cylinder to since they don't exactly line up.... then i got around to finishing the cluster for my gauges where the radio used to be and mounted some toggle switches for the line lock and tranny cooler fan.. all the gauges and mounts for them fabricated by yours truly... now i just gotta get the gauges ordered and slap em in and finish some wiring..... and finally i'm ordering the last piece of my engine so it can be finished down at the machine shop (Single plane victor manifold setup for EFI, fully ported with an Accufab 2000cfm throttle body plopped on top).... Then manifold will go to Zimmerman motorsport for their complete NX Direct port kit.... enjoy the pics...

Old 07-30-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

awesome work man! love the gauge cluster! the bottom console where the cig lighter is where i plan to fab a solid face cover for it, and mount a trans temp gauge, and some switches when i get my 383 built. my car will still be a dd, most of the time ... so losing the a/c and the radio would suck! no 8's for me ... or even 9's, just a nice little 10 second dd on spray :] btw is that a qusar blue or a custom med. blue metallic color?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:01 AM
9 Second Club

thanks... yeah that's medium quasar blue... the flash of the camera makes it look almost green..... here's an exterior pic so you can see the true color....

RK Sport used to make a plastic cover for that cubby hole you're talking about. i don't think they do anymore but you can fabricate something up pretty easily....

Old 07-30-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Going to be a sick project.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

yup one step at a time..... only a few more things to buy and take delivery of the motor and she'll be done.....
Old 07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Damn that sucker is gonna mean bussiness huh? Looks awsome. What are your wheel and tire sizes including backspacing if u dont mind?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

that thing sits up pretty dang high dont it?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:29 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Out1aw

There is -500lbs from the engine out of it buddy.

Tony.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Out1aw
No doubt, Must be a really light motor...
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good! One step at a time is all it takes. Your getting close!!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its looking good man, really comming along.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

thanks guys. yeah actually more than 500 since the tranny is out as well.... When the motor was in i had the QA1's set so I had 26" of ride height from the bottom of the wheelwell to the ground... I might set it slightly higher depending on how high it wants to wheelstand to cushion some of the impact and avoid smashing anything....

LS1Silverado-The tire and wheel sizes are 15x5 frontrunners (you can get 15x3.5's to fit but I had stock brakes back then and it required spacers) with a 165/15 volkswagon tire for the front on the street and 26" ET Fronts for the track.... Rears are 15x8 draglites with a 5.5" Backspace. Tires are 28x10.5W ET Drags... These rims might soon be replaced by 15x10 Alumastar 2.0's with a 7.5" Backspace in back and 15x3.5 Alumastar 2.0's in front... The tires will probably remain the same. I might switch to Hoosiers out back... This is to eliminate the nice tire walk that 15x8's create with a W tire out back.... sidewall sticks out a little past the rim and creates quite a bit of tire walk at less than 15psi.... it was fine at 130mph with the old setup but i'm not so sure about how i might like it at 150+
Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Speed Density
There is -500lbs from the engine out of it buddy.

Tony.
How did I not remember that
Old 07-30-2006, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Outlaw looks incredible man! So your doing away with powerbrakes obviously, just curious as to what that's like on the street with our cars? Coming along nicely, what kind of engine setup are you going with?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about that Billingsley master cylinder: does the billet block that mounts to the firewall also match up to the bolt spacing on a stock brake booster? If not, do you know if they make one that does?

Isn't plumbing braided stainless hoses and -AN fittings fun?
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like it's coming along great. Can't wait to see the E/Ts for this beast.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 AM
9 Second Club

Outlaw looks incredible man! So your doing away with powerbrakes obviously, just curious as to what that's like on the street with our cars? Coming along nicely, what kind of engine setup are you going with
Well I'll tell you what it's like once I run em... I've heard from others it's not that bad... as long as you drive your car occasionally and not daily driven it shouldn't wear on you....

Engine setup breaks down like this:

LT1 block (half filled bored .030 with torque plates)
Program Engineering 4 bolt splayed mains
Lunati billet steel 3.75" stroker crank
Oliver 6" billet rods
Custom JE nitrous pistons 12:1 CR
Secondstreetspeed solid roller 248/260 .704/.685 114.5lsa solid roller
Jesel shaft rockers 1.7/1.6
Comp ported AFR 227's (314int@.700, 238exh@.700)
Single plane Victor E fully ported
Accufab 2000cfm throttle body
sheetmetal CSM Race Engines valve covers
Comp cams double roller timing chain
Electric water pump
Fluiddampr balancer
Canton pan with canton pump/pickup
NX Direct port nitrous system (1 stage)
NX gemini-twin plate (2 stage)
FAST XFI computer tuned by Wizard Racing
ATI TH400 with transbrake
ATI 4400 stall converter
BMR/Spohn suspension, TA, Wolfe swaybar, QA1's at all 4 corners
Billingsley/Aerospace manual brakes and manual master cylinder
Madman manual rack
Full gauge complement from Autometer
Alston 12 point chromoly cage
Madman sya bars, front end limiters
completely stripped of factory wiring and rewired using Painless harness and pro street kit...

that's about it save for odds and ends....

I'm curious about that Billingsley master cylinder: does the billet block that mounts to the firewall also match up to the bolt spacing on a stock brake booster? If not, do you know if they make one that does
Yes the billet block is designed so you don't have to drill new holes. It lines up with the stock 4 bolt setup on the firewall hence the reason it's there... the shaft is adjustable for length. You have to drill a hole in your stock brake pedal to mount the shaft to however...

Looks like it's coming along great. Can't wait to see the E/Ts for this beast
Thanks, i can't either...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

will this be the first person even in the 8's with an lt1 on juice? i know one trans am has been there in boost...how about the other? who was it? setup?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Holy Moly...inspiring dude, helluva build you have going. I'm contemplating BigStuff or FAST to spin her up to 7600 with a full fuel system (which I have less the tank I want) and eventually a 2 stage TNT system. I like the NitrousDave's computer driven nitrous system, don't know enough about it, still learning nitrous 101 but the goal is mid to high 9s with nitrous and mid 10s on motor with my present build.

I too am anxious to see your beast hit the track, long live the LT1
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 AM
9 Second Club

will this be the first person even in the 8's with an lt1 on juice? i know one trans am has been there in boost...how about the other? who was it? setup?
To my knowledge nobody has done it yet on juice (meaning 8's) Dave Diluca got real close and I believe Jay Billingsley and madman ran like 9.1's or 9.0's with nitrous cars (I could be wrong cause I know madman had a boosted T/A but i'm talking about the black car).... The only confirmed LT1 cars in the 8's are Big Rick with a monster single turbo LT1 and Chris Sikora with a Supercharged LT1..... So the race is on right now to be the first nitrous LT1 to do it.... Also of note George Baxter seemed like he was definitely on the verge of doing it with a boosted LT1 but swapped to an SBC setup instead... Rob Cowlings was very close as well running 9.1's with a single turbo and Jeff Stevens is working on his new 1000hp blown setup and has run 9.40's still running on his stock PCM.....

As far as the race to be first Tony Shepherd is much farther along with his setup seeing as how he already installed the motor. I have more stuff to do but I have all the major stuff done (fuel system is done and capable of flowing enough fuel for at least 1200-1400 hp as well as FAST XFI installed and all safety issues addressed) I just need the motor from the shop, send off my converter to be restalled and wrap up some odds and ends like the manual rack....

Brett-thanks yeah that was the reason i swapped my old piggyback Gen VI DFI setup to the XFI.... Stock PCM quits at 7200... funny thing is that myself and tony have very similar motor combos going together. he dynoed his prior with the stock PCM and at 7200 when the pcm quit he was making like 495RWHP thru a TH400 and big stall converter!!!!! We plan on shifting mine at about 7600-7800..... We're going to use a standalone fuel system for the direct port and run the plate dry thru the injectors using the XFI to enrich the fuel map.... 300hp hit on the DP and 100 hit on the plate.... believe me i'm spending money as fast as i get it to get this thing on the track!!!

Quick Reply: some updated progress pics