LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 is done nut now it is rear end time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 is done nut now it is rear end time.

Hello
Been a little while since I posted any info on the new 383 but I have been busy enjoying the new performance. First off after doing all the research and putting it together I would not change anything. I have been running it pretty hard and finally have 3000 miles on it. Just got the PC back in so I can data log anytime. The last few weekends have been great with the kill of 3 different LS1's and 2 Mustangs, I have yet had time to run the nitrous but I now have a new issue that I will have to deal with this winter. Seems I can't keep a rear end under the new found horsepower. First the Auburn Posi Pro broke with 4000 miles on it, 1000 miles on the fresh motor. Saturday nite after 2 of the latest LS1 kills I had bad noise coming from the rear end , only to find that 2 blocks later after pulling into a parking lot. The rear end locked up. Had to flat bed the car home took it apart yesterday to find the Richmond Pinion missing a few teeth. AAGGGHHHHHHHHHHH. Looks like the Nitto 555R at 335X25X18 have just a little to much grab. I am going to put it back together one last time just to fire the NOS and this winter will be a 9 inch.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a crazy lookin car.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Try welding the tubes around the pig, factory merely tach/bung welded them in. Also if you have the metal lying around and a couple hours you could whip up a truss that ties into your diff cover/bolts. The 7.5" 10 bolts are turds but there main cause of pre-mature failure in the chunk is actually housing flex (from the pour welding job on the housing) or that's what all the ol' timers tell me. Worth a shot to help it hold on.

There was a gentlemen on here who trussed/welded his rear 7.5" I believe, claimed that it lived for a whole season and still didn't fail under his car on 500 rwhp but I'm not sure on his 60' times.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Anybody have any pics of how they strenghtened one of these 10 bolts. I just want to run it till the end of the year and do not want it to be sitting on jack stands again. I do agree that that is probable the reason for failure is the housing itself is flexing and some may also be the suspension. Anybody running the cast aluminum covers that have the jam bolts to brace the bearing caps with any success?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not even bother with a 10 bolt.

If you have Traction control you can go with a Ford 9in or a Dana S60 from strange.

If you only have ABS you are stuck with a 12 bolt OR the new Dana S60 from strange.

I Currently have a 12 bolt but if it starts failing under the trans break I will go with the New S60

I would NOT put a 12 bolt in a Stick car!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 383 is done nut now it is rear end time.