LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Misfire advice

Old 08-01-2006, 04:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire advice

Yes I did a search...

My dad borrowed the TA this morning and called me when he was coming back that it was misfiring. He got here and sure enough it is... You can especially feel it on the gas peddle. There is also a good ticking coming from the driver's side... He said the fuel gauge went down a good 1/4 tank on a short drive. Im waiting for the engine to cool down and posted on the local F-Body (Finland) forum if someone local has a scanner for it (1995 TA).

I know normally everyone would say "opti, plugs or wires", it feels like its missing on possibly 2 cylinders, however does the use of fuel and ticking give any further ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

The ticking on the drivers side could be the wires arcing to the block. depending on how many miles you have it would probably be a good idea to do the plugs, wires and opti.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PunkerPontiac
The ticking on the drivers side could be the wires arcing to the block. depending on how many miles you have it would probably be a good idea to do the plugs, wires and opti.
121k, one thing is it will probally take 2 weeks or so for any part to get here... So I dont want to order parts and install them and figure out its something else. I have to go out of town and wont be back until next week, when I get back I need to have to scanned and see if that shows anything. If it is the opti I think I might go with a Delteq and new plugs. (Ive heard that the opti sensor itself very rarely goes out)...

I moved the car to another spot eariler, problem is getting alot worse, speeds at which I could normally easily be in 6th in now I have to stay in 4th. (I only drove it to move it, not driving it anywhere else until this is figured out).
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

I just started thinking... its so random that all of this happened and remembered the TA was parked in a "guest" spot last night where it usually never is, is it possible that somehow all of this is caused by some f'n idiot pouring something into the tank? TA is a pretty rare car here and Ive witnessed an idiot trying to show off to the girl that was with him by moving his hand as if he was going to break my tail light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire advice