LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help - symptom like bad opti, but opti is good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help - symptom like bad opti, but opti is good?

All, any ideas are appreciated....

95 TA with OBD 1. I am running an MSD 6A, MSD coil, and ATI supercharger.

I thought my opti had gone bad AGAIN - (i have had 2 others fail...symptoms....low idle rmp, misfire, car dies, first one threw the code, second one did not....etc) I am not getting any error codes.

So frustrated, I changed the opti out for the new MSD Opti this weekend because I was sick of burning up Opti's......but went to start it and it had the same exact problems...i mean exact....car would not idle unless I baby the throttle, won't rev, misses, and is throwing black smoke.

I might suspect the new opti or maybe I wired up the plugs incorrectly (haven't had time to check anything), but the car is running exactly the same, so I suspect some pre-existing problem. No codes are being thrown.

Updated 8/1:
Checked the MSD 6a - ok
Checked the coil - ok
With the 6a, car will barely run, but will run.
Remove the 6a from the system and put back to stock ignition, car will not run at all (tries to fire, i am getting spark, then it dies)

Help.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your ICM?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

fuel pump, o2's, hooked up wrong on the plugs, running rich and dumping alot of fuel, MAF.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Was problem found? I am having similar symptoms. Will be checking the car later on today. Just trying to figure out what to look for.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Default Found problem---all is well, and car is running GREAT

Well guys, it has been awhile - some health problems and got involved in some other car projects (I have a classic BUICK muscle car habit of all things....it is a sickness, I know), I am back. Turned my attention to my Pontiac and got it back on the road. Rebuilt the transmission (again) after blowing out the front seal and put a new 2800rpm 9inch stall converter in.

Just to close on my original problem.....It turned out I did have an Opti problem - and I had consequently fouled my spark plugs (yes, i feel like an idiot that it took me so long to figure out I had fouled spark plugs)- so when I put the new MSD Opti in it would not run due to the fouled plugs - it is interesting that the car would actually run on the MSD6a (not well) but not on the standard ingition with fouled plugs - testament to MSD. I am very happy with the new MSD ignition-power and ignition are great through the entire RPM range- have run it for 400 miles with no issues. We will see how it holds up - will keep everyone posted.

In addition, I went back to 42lb injectors (had downsized to 32lb on advice of someone who should have known better) - Car is running GREAT now. I don't exactly understand why - same A/F ratio at given RPM, but car seems stronger with 42lb vs 32lb???? Oh well....

Last edited by real82it; 02-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help - symptom like bad opti, but opti is good?