LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti sensor, simple question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti sensor, simple question?

Tekprodave once said that the optical sensor of the opti is "all or nothing, meaning it either works or doesnt"... Can anyone confirm this?

Right now I believe my misfire (and a few cylinders not running) are being caused by the opti, because its getting worse and worse (yesterday on a few mile drive it went real bad, but later during the day when moving the car to another spot it got even worse...)

I want to get a Delteq and I know it needs the optical sensor of the opti, but is this all it needs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

make sure you have enough fuel pressure. your fuel pump could be running, but it might be on the verge of dieing and not throwing enough fuel pressure at the motor. the same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. i went out and bought a brand new opti and i still had the stumble/missfire. also how are your spark plugs? wires? coil?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
make sure you have enough fuel pressure. your fuel pump could be running, but it might be on the verge of dieing and not throwing enough fuel pressure at the motor. the same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. i went out and bought a brand new opti and i still had the stumble/missfire. also how are your spark plugs? wires? coil?
I dont believe its fuel pressure because if it were then the engine would hesitate before responding to the gas peddle, correct? The engine responds normally as it should. I doubt its wires or plugs because the problem keeps getting worse, as in I believe it keeps dropping more and more cylinders.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

in most cases your right about the fuel pressure, but there is always that case to where things will be screwy. lol it takes 5-10 min to check fuel pressure. just hook a guage up to the schrader valve on the back of the intake manifold on the drivers side and turn the key to acc. as for plugs, and wires i wouldnt count them out either. check the wires. are the dry rotted? cracked? burnt or arching off of anything? lift the hood up at night and start the car and look at your wires to see if u do infact have an issue w/ arching. how many miles are on the plugs? how is the gapping? and yes it still could be your opti. the opti is going to either work or its not. there has been guys that have 260,000+ on opti's. mine personally went out at 57,000. i just dont want you to go spend 300 bucks on an opti when you dont have to.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

From what I understand it is a all or nothing thing. Can replacement lenses be bought?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

in most cases your right about the fuel pressure, but there is always that case to where things will be screwy. lol it takes 5-10 min to check fuel pressure. just hook a guage up to the schrader valve on the back of the intake manifold on the drivers side and turn the key to acc. as for plugs, and wires i wouldnt count them out either. check the wires. are the dry rotted? cracked? burnt or arching off of anything? lift the hood up at night and start the car and look at your wires to see if u do infact have an issue w/ arching. how many miles are on the plugs? how is the gapping? and yes it still could be your opti. the opti is going to either work or its not. there has been guys that have 260,000+ on opti's. mine personally went out at 57,000. i just dont want you to go spend 300 bucks on an opti when you dont have to.
Yeah I see where your coming from... Im just a bit upset that this happened and now the whole weekend (Friday car show, Saturday drag racing at an airport, Sunday Finland's largest car meet) is blown... I left this morning and wont be back "in-town" until this weekend or Monday. Ill test the fuel pressure (which reminds me yesterday I heard a noise as if someone had let air out of a pressurized valve during the problem, but thought it was just due to the misfiring... a "ffmmp" kind of noise) and check for arching. I dont know how many miles are on the plugs or wires but the wires themselves look to be in good shape. I know what you mean by not spending money if its not the problem, I really dont want to do that because its not only that, its I have to wait a week for something to get here (Finland) and then if its not the fix its another week or few to get new parts and usually cant return stuff either.

Thanks for the advice, if you can think of anything else let me know.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

do you have a SES light? do you have any way to hook your car up to autotap, a snap on scanner, or any other device that can monitor your car?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

do you have a SES light? do you have any way to hook your car up to autotap, a snap on scanner, or any other device that can monitor your car?
No SES light (yet), I tried to get some local guys to scan it last night but no one really had the time... I should be able to get it scanned early next week.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

If you were having a fuel problem you would more that likely feel the engine bogging down like its falling on its face... with an ignition problem you would get a hesitation.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JOSE REBS
If you were having a fuel problem you would more that likely feel the engine bogging down like its falling on its face... with an ignition problem you would get a hesitation.
Hmm, well the engine responds to throttle fine, just you feel a hard pulsing in the gas peddle, everything shakes, theres a ticking... Oh and if this helps anyone, in a few mile drive it used 1/4 tank - something which should not happen. Also stumbles at idle, takes a bit longer to start... Places where I could usually be in 6th easily I now am almost struggling in fourth (this was when moving the car two miles to another spot).

Last edited by Charging TA; 08-02-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

is your cat clogged? i dunno anymore....im just give some things on what to look at now. im kinda stumped myself on what u have to look for. check some of the things i said, just to cross them off ur checklist to try and narrow the search for the problem down....i dunno good luck bud.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

is your cat clogged? i dunno anymore....im just give some things on what to look at now. im kinda stumped myself on what u have to look for. check some of the things i said, just to cross them off ur checklist to try and narrow the search for the problem down....i dunno good luck bud.
The cat was changed out about two months ago when it started keeping noise, Ive had a car with a clogged cat before and it had pretty similar symptoms... but with less than 3k miles on this cat I dont see it as real being possible. The funny thing is I didnt even want a cat, the one that was on there started keeping some noise so I told a friend who has a good size shop to remove it and put a "test pipe" on there for now - but when I went to pick it up it had a new cat in place.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far, its really appreciated.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

even though there is 3 thousand on the cat itself, doesnt take away the fact that it can fail. depending on how rich your car is, it will judge the life of your cats.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

even though there is 3 thousand on the cat itself, doesnt take away the fact that it can fail. depending on how rich your car is, it will judge the life of your cats.
Yeah, just for some reason I think its the Opti... cant really do anything until next week though.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

well keep us posted on what you find out.....

Quick Reply: Opti sensor, simple question?