LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heater hose help.LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater hose help.LT1

piece # 13 has broken off, do I need to get the complete hose> I think yes since it looks like it was pressed on. Can I just put a tube or fitting in there and clamp it on, or is that a check valve or something. Its the lower wp / heater hose. let me tell you this has been the week from He!! for all my cars.
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses_93-94.jpg
Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

#13 Valve, Heater Water Flow Cont. (Part of 1) (AC-Delco #15-5511) for 93-94 LT1 GM #10188036

as far as it being clamped on or not ... or how it is attached i have no knowledge of, anyone else know?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can put a tube in and forget about it.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
You can put a tube in and forget about it.

No you cant. It's a flow restrictor that as the name suggests, will restrict flow to the heater core. Without it your likely to blow the heater core and cause a real mess.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Teching In

great guys, just got done doing that. total cost like 4.00...lol thanks all, there are other valves in the line so I was told that doing without this one is fine..maybe I'll order the part and throw it on to be safe, but for now this is working. Heater is not really an issue in florida
Old 08-06-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will be an issue when it explodes and sends coolant all over your interior.

They don't put this restrictor in there without a reason.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
It will be an issue when it explodes and sends coolant all over your interior.

They don't put this restrictor in there without a reason.
it isnt a restrictor, just a flow control valve .... many people have bypassed this without issues, me being one, and it was done well over 40,000 miles ago.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by titter
it isnt a restrictor, just a flow control valve .... many people have bypassed this without issues, me being one, and it was done well over 40,000 miles ago.

And just what do you think a flow control valve does? It controls the amount of flow. It is exactly a restrictor. It's common in many vehicles. The heater core can not handle high stress at high RPM. They go pop. If you have not heard of this fine, but don't fight people giving out the right answer by saying it's wrong.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Wouldn't a flow control valve allow a liquid to only flow one way?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by anaik
Wouldn't a flow control valve allow a liquid to only flow one way?
Thats a check valve.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

And just what do you think a flow control valve does? It controls the amount of flow. It is exactly a restrictor. It's common in many vehicles. The heater core can not handle high stress at high RPM. They go pop. If you have not heard of this fine, but don't fight people giving out the right answer by saying it's wrong.
I have heard of people, including me run safely without it. I havent heard of it popping under high stress. You slightly dremel the swaged colors and basically zip them off. Pipe in between, and it is fine. Also being in FL I have used the heat maybe twice last winter, and everything was fine ... so chill out pal. I didnt know you sat in the room when they designed that very peice, and said it was essential for the heater core not to explode
Old 08-06-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look. It's really simple. Things are designed for a reason. Your not an engineer. They put it there for the exact reason that I said. You removing it negates nothing. Do what you want to your car. Go out and blow it sky high for all I care. However you have no right to spread false information and potentially harmful advice to others and pass it off as "fine".
Old 08-06-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Look. It's really simple. Things are designed for a reason. Your not an engineer. They put it there for the exact reason that I said. You removing it negates nothing. Do what you want to your car. Go out and blow it sky high for all I care. However you have no right to spread false information and potentially harmful advice to others and pass it off as "fine".

I left fbody.com for **** like this, if you dont think just like them you are **** and allways wrong...
Old 08-06-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nick97ta
I left fbody.com for **** like this, if you dont think just like them you are **** and allways wrong...
Congratulations, it still doesn't change teh fact that it's incorrect. Like it or not, do it or not, it'd still not correct. It's not open to interpretation. As long as your running a heater core, it needs a restrictor to protect it against high RPM pressure.

It's really simple people. YOu can do something the right way and know it works, or do it the wrong way and hope it works. Which is fine on your own car, but not as advice to others. Period.

In this case, it takes very little effort to do it right. Run a barb fitting for a few days untill you get teh right part to fix it right. It's not going to hurt anything untill then, but it should still be replaced the correct way.

Don't hack **** and expect it to work. Attempt to be professional, and I garentee you that you will benefit from it.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nick97ta
Theres alot of people like that here in the LT1 section. I even had a guy here go to another Board just to complain to his buddies that I was a A-hole because I didnt agree with him. This isnt directed to anyone specificlly.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

This is why I rarely go on these forums anymore. Everybody just bitches back and forth about stupid **** like this flow control valve. It is there for a reason, GM would have saved the two dollars per car and left the damn thing out if it was really not necessary. If you dont know what you are talking about, dont post it. I agree with HBH.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing wrong with 2 people having different opinions about a subject. Sometimes youre wrong, sometimes youre right and sometimes you both can be right or wrong. That's why we have this forum, to share knowledge. If you cant accept a difference of opinion in a civil way then you really dont belong on a public forum. This section seems to get but hurt to easy. Dont have a opinion about the LT1 that's different from the flock or your post will be deleted or youll get ganged up on etc. As long as we act like adults and treat eachother with respect you should be able to post your opinion with no problem.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone has there own bit of information ... everyone says different things ... that is life.

Originally Posted by 94strokedz
It is there for a reason, GM would have saved the two dollars per car and left the damn thing out if it was really not necessary.
Just because GM runs fluid through the TB does that mean it is necessary? Maybe if you live in an extremely cold area, but notice how almost every aftermarket tb doesnt have hook ups for it?

Not trying to stir ****, just telling you I have had this like this for a long time. The correct way is to replace the part ... hence why I gave the GM part # in my first post. I just am giving my example that I have run this for awhile, and all is good. Thanks for your opinion though, next time try not being such a **** when giving it ... maybe you wont be taken as being hostile. Just my .02
Old 08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by titter
Everyone has there own bit of information ... everyone says different things ... that is life.

Just because GM runs fluid through the TB does that mean it is necessary? Maybe if you live in an extremely cold client, but notice how almost every aftermarket tb doesnt have hook ups for it?

Not trying to stir ****, just telling you I have had this like this for a long time. The correct way is to replace the part ... hence why I gave the GM part # in my first post. I just am giving my example that I have run this for awhile, and all is good. Thanks for your opinion though, next time try not being such a **** when giving it ... maybe you wont be taken as being hostile. Just my .02

All I did was give you cold hard facts, your the one that decided to start throwing in sarcastic remarks. Maybe you should take your own hostility advice.

Opinions are fine, but opinions mean that there are options. In this case there are none. It's not an issue of having more then one option. There is only one. If you have a heater core, you need it to function correctly and not risk blowing it up. In cases where things are removed for a reason, it's fine. When there is something to be gained because there are options. Installed header and are setting an EGR code, can it be removed? Sure. Will it gain you anything? Not really. See, options. Air pump dies on you, can it be removed? Sure, will it gain you much? not really, but there are still options.

In an instance where you stand to gain something, do it or at least debate teh pro's and con's. In an instance where an action will only negatively effect you, and there is no positive side then why do it?

I had a leak in my brake line. I fixed it and I don't have any brake fluid to add. All I have is a can of pepsi. Should I add that instead? No. You have 1 option, get brake fluid.

Sometimes you have options, some times you don't. It doesn't benefit you to make up an option. All it takes is a little logic and common sense to apply this to this particular subject.

It's espcialy troublesome on such a very cheap and easy situation. If it was one that required several hours and thousands of dollars thats one thing. This however is a very easy and basic, almost trivial part. Why not do it right? The only thing you stand to gain from it is the 5 bucks you save by cutting corners. You stand to loose a lot more.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

No hard feelings, just dont want everyone to get butt hurt over a petty argument over a flow control valve lol.

Quick Reply: Heater hose help.LT1