LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can i take my friends ls1

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i take my friends ls1

I have a 94 lt1 camaro 6spd running with a K+N air intake and BBK shorties running open. I am looking at getting a hypertech programer and a BBK 58mm throttle body. if i do this would it even be worth my time to run my friends bone stock 98 TA or should i look into more mods. My car has 120k and his has 85k.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

hypertech is garbage dont bother. get a mail order tune. 58mm tb is worthless as well without a good head/cam package, and a true good flowing long tube header. also with the 58mm you need to port the intake to make it actually flow the best. on a stock setup the 58mm really wont give you much of a gain at all! shorties runnnig open is going to kill your low end with no back pressure ... but thats my .02

http://bfranker.badz28.com/96ss/58porting.htm -- porting the intake for the 58.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jake_richards
I have a 94 lt1 camaro 6spd running with a K+N air intake and BBK shorties running open. I am looking at getting a hypertech programer and a BBK 58mm throttle body. if i do this would it even be worth my time to run my friends bone stock 98 TA or should i look into more mods. My car has 120k and his has 85k.
Get some MT ET streets and you could run next to him down the quarter mile, but he'll still outtrap you.

Don't bother with the throttle body or the hypertech programmer. Hypertech is garbage and you aren't making enough power to need the TB. Buy a good set of 4.10s for your rear end (I recommend Motive sets) and have it installed. You'll see much better gains.

Open exhaust won't "kill his low end with lack of backpressure" persay. What it'll do is change the tuned length and push his torque peak up, and he'll make higher peak power overall. It'll give the illusion of loosing power down low, but once you hit higher RPMs you'll realize where it's gone. I typically run long tubes and an open 3" y-pipe on the street, plenty of power
Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Like said above dont even bother with the programmer or tb. He will beat you definetly, I've beaten LS1's by about 3/4 -1 car length every time I've raced one with the mods in my sig plus a tune to give you an idea. If you get some LT's, a tune, gears etc. you'll have a race.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Get some more mods first. He has the advantage so far so youre gonna have to level the playing field. The money spent on the Hypertech could go toward many better things. First ensure your car has had a proper tune up etc with those miles. Then mod as much as your budget will allow. Go heads and cam then when it blows (if it blows) go with a stroker kit. My $.02
Old 08-06-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jake_richards
NOPE..
Old 08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

He will probably get you as it stands. Like the others have said get a mail order tune - one by Madz28.com or if you like one by pcmforless.com, a a set of 4.10's and a set of drag radials and you shouldnt have any problem taking his stock 98.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1: no you will not win all things being equal.

2: Everything else is pretty much right. You shouldn't run a hypertech, a 58MM TB will not help you in any way, and open headers are doing more harm then good. However it's not because of lack of back pressure. No back pressure is good, but you have the system tuned to an ungodly high RPM band exiting to the atmosphere that close to the motor. Exit later, and it will shift the power band lower into the RPM range where you can use it.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
NOPE..

Ohh cmon CJ, start puttin some money into that LT1 instead on that Catfish.
_____

I can hand it to a stock or lightly modded LS1, but the top end of those cars is really good.
You dont have enough mods so CJ might be right.
Since its only a 98, its going to be a pretty good race, possible a drivers race.
Go from a roll, and start in 2nd. From there, its up to you.

Quick Reply: can i take my friends ls1