LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD 8.5 wires problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD 8.5 wires problem

ok so i just installed some NGK plugs and MSD wires hoping to get rid of my high RPM miss. not even 5 min after i get everything in and done, i notice there is some smoke, an the car smells like burning candles, so i pop the hood and sure enough theres my new MSD wires melting against my headers . is there any kind of heat protection as putting the wires in where i did seeme to be the ONLY place they would fit. doing these wires was possibly a bigger pain in my *** then the headers. i also think it may be my headers that are causing the miss because before the header install my wires seeme to be fine, and since theyve gone it i had the high miss, and now melting wires. has anyone else had this problem? if so whatd you do to fix it. the only wires that seem melted are the ones above the headers themselves, will i be better off routing them under the pipes?

Old 08-18-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I zipped tied mine as far away from the headers as I could ... they are a pita to get to fit! A lot of people do the otvc (over the valve cover) wire conversion after headers to get around this problem.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

i think you can get a sleve that goes over the wire, and boots if you need it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

on the driver run the wires exactly like they came from factory right thru the looms... its kind of hard to get them in there but once they are they wont go anywhere... also if there is slack in the wires try and leave all the slack towards the front of the engine where there is not as much heat....

now the passenger side.... it's just about impossible to get all of the 8.5mm's in the stock looms, so use the looms to route only two of the wires.. i believe they are the number 1 and 3 cylinders and u shouldnt have a problem with those... for the 5 and and 7 cylinders i bought a 25ft roll of msd 8.5mm wire for $30 and i made the wires long enuff to run parallel to eachother over the valve covers and then split like a "y" inbetween the last two headers and also put a zip tie there to hold them together away from the headers.... i tried a lot of things before i resulted to this like that be kool tape and those sheth thing or whatever but none of it worked.. they made them last a lil bit longer but within a few days they wood still burn... i'll try n post some pics when i get home....
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have a pic or a link to this "OTVC" conversion?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

yea how does this otvc conversion work. do you have to buy parts or is it just how you route the wires, because i think i trie routing the wires a different way and it didnt work.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

here is my OTVC ........

Old 08-19-2006, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

looks so clean and easy! WHY DIDNT I KNOW ABOUT THIS EARLIER
Old 08-19-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

I run Hooker LTs and MSD superconductors without OTVC and I have never burned a wire.

Routing is the key, pay very close attention to your routing and you won't burn any wires.
Zip ties are your friend.

Over the valve cover is a solution but you can get very good results without it by just paying attention to your routing.

Quick Reply: MSD 8.5 wires problem