LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Spark Install Need a lil help thanx!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti Spark Install Need a lil help thanx!

I got my new Summit LT1 Optispark ready to get my ride going again and I was just wondering if there is a work around to draining the radiator to take off the water pump. Thanx ya'll later!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

You have to pretty much cuz once you get the waterpump off, it's gonna pour coolant out the block jackets and some out the back of the pump from the hoses. It's a good idea to drain the radiator cuz you'll get a lot outta the jackets and it won't be as messy once the pump comes off. This will be a good time to take the radiator and spray it out/flush it good and clean.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

I just replaced that myself last weekend. Youll have to take the pump off. No ifs ands or buts about it. Look at it this way, its alot easier than the drive pulley [B]I had to deal with, and its always a good idea to drain the coolant to get some fresh stuff in there. As long as the pump is off, take a look at the bearings on the backside of the pump. For instance the one I took off had exposed roller bearings. BAAAAD. Instead of thinking about all the work it is, just think of all of the problems you could uncover when fixing the Opti.