LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ever so slight miss at idle and lower rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ever so slight miss at idle and lower rpms

I have a tinny miss at idle that is barely noticeable and this stays consistent when you raise the rpms and hold them steady, but you can not tell if you are driving or not listening for it., car still runs great but I noticed it when I went to the track and I was down a couple mph from last week and this was in colder weather then last. I just recently fixed my intake oil leak, and it has been doing it ever since then (3-4 days). All vacuum lines are hooked up right. I checked for any vacuum leaks with starting fluid I also pulled a couple plugs and they were white with almost a tan tint. My opti vacuum hoses were broke so I fixed them, and for some reason the one way valve wasn't working (clogged) so I replaced it. And the only other thing is that when I put my injectors back on I broke one of the pieces of plastic that are above the o-ring on the injector maybe that’s a problem, but I don’t think so because I pulled the plug and it look like the others. My guesses right now are OPTI, 02 sensors because when I extended them for the long tubes maybe I didn’t do a good job and they finally got saturated from the oil leak when it was leaking, or the injector. Any thoughts I hate to through parts at it when it doesn’t need them.

Car has
New wires
New plugs
New fuel filter
New airfilter
New Pcv valve

And mods are:
1.) Manual Fan switch
2.)160 degree stat
3.)Mad z28 Tune
4.) Pacesetter long tube
5.) Off road Y pipe
6.) Electronic cutout
7.) SLP clutch
8.) Airlift air Bag
9.)BMR Adjustable torque Arm
10.)Throttle body bypass
11.)Cold air intake with K&N filter
12.)Raptor shift light
13.)BMR Relocation brackets

I would love to get some other opinions on this.Thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

im trying to fix the same thing right now i think. mine is also very slight but there is a somewhat noticable loss in performance, it just doesnt feel like its all there at wide open.when i put in my MSD wires i melted two of them and the car had a TERRIBLE miss, but i just replaced the two wires and got rid of that problem.(the bad miss)

i also am unsure of the quality of my 02 splicing when i put in my longtubes.

also i can here a kinda random tick on the driver side of the engine compartment, sounds like it may be coming from the 6 or 8 cyl/plug/wire. and the exhaust pops a little bit. so i think ill try and get a scan tool hooked up and see how my 02's are doing and go from there.

back to that random tick. its not valvetrain because it doesnt go up with rpms, and it doesnt seem like its on perfect timing for spark either, its completely random and im worried it might be the opti.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

might be your opti spark.....
Old 08-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

I am having the same problems... when i first put it together with the LT's it ran amazing for the first day until i burned through a plug wire. i replaced that and it ran better but it still seemed to have a miss to it a little... figured it was the car retuning for the 8 since i had driven about 60 miles with it missing real bad... i took it to the dyno and it stumbled on the dyno. it stumbled on the way home and hasn't run right since. as of right now it will idle, but will not rev up... driving it will accelerate under 25% throttle or less other wise it studders and wants to die. when it is cold it seems to be some what ok but when it gets warm it doesn't want to run... if you guys figure it out let me know... i am almost to the point of selling the damn thing and cutting my losses...
Thanks
John
Old 08-27-2006, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustaStockHawk
I am having the same problems... when i first put it together with the LT's it ran amazing for the first day until i burned through a plug wire. i replaced that and it ran better but it still seemed to have a miss to it a little... figured it was the car retuning for the 8 since i had driven about 60 miles with it missing real bad... i took it to the dyno and it stumbled on the dyno. it stumbled on the way home and hasn't run right since. as of right now it will idle, but will not rev up... driving it will accelerate under 25% throttle or less other wise it studders and wants to die. when it is cold it seems to be some what ok but when it gets warm it doesn't want to run... if you guys figure it out let me know... i am almost to the point of selling the damn thing and cutting my losses...
Thanks
John
i kinda noticed the same thing tonight, where it runs goo cold, but shitty when it warms up. this is why i think it may be the 02's. if i recall correctly they should be in open loop at start up, then when they warm up they go to close loop (when the computer starts judging spark, fuel, etc. by the sensors output) since the wires may not be connected well it may be sending the pcm bogus information an therfore messing up the timing.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Teching In

that would make sense... i have checked and rechecked those wires about 4 times now though... i mean i guess it is still a possibility just seems kinda hard to beleive... when my car was on the dyno we had the A/F gauge on it. the fuel curve stayed perfect the whole time even while it was stumbling... if it were the 02's wouldn't that graph have had peaks in it? just an idea...
Old 08-27-2006, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

my A/F was right where it should be on the dyno too. **** i forgot about that. well this week ill hook a scan tool to it, and see if i can find anything.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

you would think, I know my problem isn't the 02's because i unplugged them forcing open loop and it did the same thing. The car has gotton better over the weekend, i drove it 220 miles on the highway so far and it seems to geting better. Mabey its just the pcm not being tuned because i disconnected the batt cable. Its either that or the optispark.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

the only reason i think it might not be the optispark, is why should how hot the engine is matter to the opti? maybe the wires cant take the heat? i had that problem( or so it seemed) with my old 3.4 camaro. it ate plug wires like crazy.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

i miss my 94 z but not the opti lmao i hear the msd opti is pretty good
Old 08-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Teching In

i hadn't thought about unplugging the O2's... i guess that would be a pretty good way to figure out if it was the O2's or not... i also read on here in a different thread that the coil can mess up when i gets hotter? i dont know how true this is... doesn't seem to make much sense to me... but i guess it is a step farther than i am right now...
Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

ya see thats were my problem differs tho because its always their hot or cold. Thats why im considering the opti, trust me i would love to save $300 and call it a day.LOL
Old 08-28-2006, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

i hooked my car up to the scan tool today, and all signs point to 02. not only is one of them not reading right but i have a coe for no activity from the same sensor. so ill re wire it and hope that fixes it, if i rewire it and still i get bad readings ill try a new sensor, and if that doesnt work..i guess opti, but ill let you know how the wire thing works.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my 95 formula. It constantly had a miss right around 1500 rpm's. I scanned the car and it showed no codes at all. I changed plugs/wires/fuel filter and it ended up being my MAF sensor was dirty. I unplugged the maf and the car ran great so I took the screen off and put some carb and choke cleaner on a q-tip and gently cleaned the maf. It has some buildup on it and the car no longer falls on its face. I was going to change the opti but figured this couldnt hurt to try and it worked for me I would try to unplug the MAF and if the car runs better atleast you know its not the opti, and if you do un plug it your "check engine light" will come on.

Quick Reply: Ever so slight miss at idle and lower rpms