LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power loss with a ported intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power loss with a ported intake manifold

I put on a ported intake manifold and 58mm throttle body, and I decided to dyno again to see if it helped. Well to make it short, I lost 9rwhp. I'm thinking it might be just the 2 different dyno's reading different, and me having 18psi in my dr's vs 30 on street tires might make a difference, but I wouldn't think I would loose power. On one bank, the ports are matched with the gaskets perfectly, but on the other side, they are all 1/8-1/4" lower than the gaskets/head ports. So I'm thinking that ridge that the air is hitting going from the manifold to the head port might be causing turbulance and a power loss. How much power would that cost me, if any? Or should I just not worry about it?

Before
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/gm846 tuned.jpg
After
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/dyno_spray.jpg
Old 08-28-2006, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

If you ported any of it lower than the head ports it is going to be less powerful and run like ***.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get your ported intake manifold?

i see these on ebay and wondering if i should do this with a stock ported TB ... hopefully pick up a few horsepower. .. take a look
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

That whole velocity thing...
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

t t t
Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

how do you know the ports aren't lined up with the gaskets????? Cuz you can't see in there once the thing is bolted up....

But if you are sure that's the case YES that will cost you power..... air velocity slowed down, turbulence in the port..... that bank will probably run richer as well since it's getting less air (in a combustion cycle due to turbulence) and the same amount of fuel...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I put on a ported intake manifold and 58mm throttle body, and I decided to dyno again to see if it helped. Well to make it short, I lost 9rwhp. I'm thinking it might be just the 2 different dyno's reading different, and me having 18psi in my dr's vs 30 on street tires might make a difference, but I wouldn't think I would loose power. On one bank, the ports are matched with the gaskets perfectly, but on the other side, they are all 1/8-1/4" lower than the gaskets/head ports. So I'm thinking that ridge that the air is hitting going from the manifold to the head port might be causing turbulance and a power loss. How much power would that cost me, if any? Or should I just not worry about it?

Before
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/gm846 tuned.jpg
After
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/dyno_spray.jpg
Different days... different temps, different humidity, different wheels, different dynos (shouldn't be much of a difference, but no two dynos will be exactly the same). Add all of those differences and your loss is possible. Was the car tuned after these upgrades? If you knew about the gaskets not lining up... why did you install it?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
Different days... different temps, different humidity, different wheels, different dynos (shouldn't be much of a difference, but no two dynos will be exactly the same). Add all of those differences and your loss is possible. Was the car tuned after these upgrades? If you knew about the gaskets not lining up... why did you install it?
I couldn't have my car down. I didn't really check the 1st time that good, I lined them up by eye sight and noticed it was off by a little but I didn't think anything of it. I put it on with gasket sealer on the gaskets, but I had the famous manifold oil leak, so I pulled it off again, and the gaskets stuck to the manifold. One side was lined up perfect, the other side had the bottom of the port on the manifold being lower than the gasket, and that part of the gasket wasn't crushed either, so it definatly wasn't lined up right. I mean it doesn't feel down on power, but SOTP isn't very accurate. And I know someone who dyno'd on a mustang dyno, and came to the place where I dyno'd at with the ported manifold at to see what he would put down on a dynojet, and he actually lost power. So I'm really not concerned about dyno #'s, I'm going to see how it does at the track.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by emerica4601
where did you get your ported intake manifold?

i see these on ebay and wondering if i should do this with a stock ported TB ... hopefully pick up a few horsepower. .. take a look
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fully...spagenameZWDVW
That manifold isn't even close to being as ported as mine. And I don't want to post who the porter is because he isn't screwing me over, and he is answering my emails the same day or next day, so I know he is willing to work it out with me. I just don't want to post it up because people will think I'm bashing him.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air is very finicky within a port, hence the reason you can gain considerable amount's by just "cleaning" up the port's and what not.. I'd def. have that issue resolved.. As far as how much power you lost.. 9rwhp on a diff dyno is not uncommon.. If your going to dyno your car i'd suggest using the same dyno so you can keep track of your result's a lil more accurately...

Quick Reply: Power loss with a ported intake manifold