LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this a 'Vette LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a 'Vette LT1?

I have searched but can't find a good answer. I'm buying a car that is supposed to have a '94 Corvette (Y-body) LT1/T56:

The accessories and SLP air intake look like the engine is f-body. Should I care? The fuel rail is '94+ so I assume it is a '94. The only deal-breaker is if it has iron heads (and thus from a b-body).

Am I missing something? Isn't the only difference between the 275hp rating for the f-body and 300hp for the 'Vette the exhaust? (or make believe so the 'Vette would still be the king?).

Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a F-body LT1 to me. The Corvette LT1's also had 4 bolt mains and a different intake set up.
The 300hp rating comes from a better exhaust that Corvettes have. (true duals)
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Something isnt right. The valve covers are wrong, the fuel rails are wrong (explainable), The accessory setup is wrong (explainable), and iron heads WTF? I dont think its a Vette motor at all. Drop the pan.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by porksoda
Looks like a F-body LT1 to me. The Corvette LT1's also had 4 bolt mains and a different intake set up.
The 300hp rating comes from a better exhaust that Corvettes have. (true duals)
And Cam according to GM.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Something isnt right. The valve covers are wrong, the fuel rails are wrong (explainable), The accessory setup is wrong (explainable), and iron heads WTF? I dont think its a Vette motor at all. Drop the pan.
I don't know if the heads are aluminum or iron yet. My point was if they are iron it will be a deal-breaker or a serious negotiating point. I doubt it has iron heads - I think it is an f-body LT1... the questions is:

Is the 'Vette LT1 better than the f-body other than the 4 bolt mains? (and in a serious hp application I'd rather convert a 2 bolt to 4 bolt splayed - but this will be a daily driver with little risk of pushing out the crank). Are the cams really different? I can't drop the pan when I go to pick up the car.

Chris
Old 08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no...no sig differance..that is prolly a f-body lt1 2 bolt main...no big diff between the vette lt1, no power diff either...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
JUICED96Z

I am sure you could check the casting numbers, DO NOT take this guys work for it....

Really it was a 4 bolt main, a little more power and a lighter car.
LOTS of people will say they have a corvette motor when they really don't, or will put corvette fuel rail covers on and call it a vette motor.

Back in the 80's it was easier to tell because they had aluminum heads, the f-bodies had cast iron.

I also thought the LT1 vette cars had trans-axles, not the standard f-body T56 that mounted to the engine.... He said 94 vette LT1/T-56 so it has me a little confused.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 08-30-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chree
I don't know if the heads are aluminum or iron yet. My point was if they are iron it will be a deal-breaker or a serious negotiating point. I doubt it has iron heads - I think it is an f-body LT1... the questions is:

Is the 'Vette LT1 better than the f-body other than the 4 bolt mains? (and in a serious hp application I'd rather convert a 2 bolt to 4 bolt splayed - but this will be a daily driver with little risk of pushing out the crank). Are the cams really different? I can't drop the pan when I go to pick up the car.

Chris
Actually I think those fuel rails are vette rails. Anyways the vette engine isnt anything spectaculer unless it was a 96 LT4 motor or something.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of vehicle is this in?
Old 08-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no those arent vette fuel rails they come off the passenger side...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

ASSuming it is an LT1 (or L99 ) block (from Mortec):

10125327...350...92-up...2 or 4...Gen.II LT-1, reverse flow cooling
10125327...350...96-up...2 or 4...Gen.II LT-4, reverse flow cooling (edit: note this is the same casting # as above)
10168588...265...94-96...2...L99, Gen.II, 4.3 Liter V-8, Caprice, reverse flow cooling

So it looks like the only real verification is in the main caps. I don't care so long as there is no major performance difference. If I can prove the LT1 is f-body I'll use it for leverage since it is advertised as being from a 'Vette.

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
what kind of vehicle is this in?
There is the question Any guesses?

Chris
Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

The one thing that catches my eye is the valve covers. Theres just no reason to swap them. It's not a Vette motor and even if it is it doesnt make the car worth anymore than youre willing to pay.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:59 PM
JUICED96Z

The one thing that catches my eye is the valve covers. Theres just no reason to swap them. It's not a Vette motor and even if it is it doesnt make the car worth anymore than youre willing to pay.

I think you mean the fuel rail covers...

If it was me I would not let him raise the price for it being a vette motor.

Only way you could tell is if was a 80's TPI vette motor.

It looks like those heads are amuminum (first pic) so its for sure not out of a caprice. I think the caprice had a few other differences you could see, like in the intake elbow and all.

I would find out about the tranny that the LT1 vette had because I am pretty sure it was a transaxle and I bet the car you are looking at has a T56 mounted to the engine and if the vette did have a transaxle (pretty sure it did with the IRS) then it would have an f-body tranny in it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

In other words if the LT1 vettes had IRS and a transaxle and if this car has a T56 moutned to the engine and he says it came out of a vette then he is not being straight with you and I will put money down saying its a F-body LT1.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 08-30-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I think you mean the fuel rail covers...

If it was me I would not let him raise the price for it being a vette motor.

Only way you could tell is if was a 80's TPI vette motor.

It looks like those heads are amuminum (first pic) so its for sure not out of a caprice. I think the caprice had a few other differences you could see, like in the intake elbow and all.

I would find out about the tranny that the LT1 vette had because I am pretty sure it was a transaxle and I bet the car you are looking at has a T56 mounted to the engine and if the vette did have a transaxle (pretty sure it did with the IRS) then it would have an f-body tranny in it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

In other words if the LT1 vettes had IRS and a transaxle and if this car has a T56 moutned to the engine and he says it came out of a vette then he is not being straight with you and I will put money down saying its a F-body LT1.
No I'm refering to th the fuel rails themselves.
The trany mounts the exact same way as it does in a Camaro. Youre thinking C5.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

No I'm refering to th the fuel rails themselves.
The trany mounts the exact same way as it does in a Camaro. Youre thinking C5.
My bad. Im refering to the Valve covers. vette valve covers are different than any other LT1. The L98 Vettes got the magnesium covers and the LT1 Vettes got the composite.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
JUICED96Z

My bad. Im refering to the Valve covers. vette valve covers are different than any other LT1. The L98 Vettes got the magnesium covers and the LT1 Vettes got the composite.
Good point!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

LT1 Vettes never had a T56. They had ZF transmissions from Germany, and No Transaxles till the C5 Vette in 1997. All Vettes have had Aluminum heads since 1986. The only difference in LT1's from the Vette to the F Bodies are the Vettes had a better exhaust and the PCM was a little different, Very Little. The major things are ZF6 tranny , which is a German 6 speed, straight cut gear tranny out of a truck. The rearend, if an original 6 speed is a Dana 44 with 3.45 gears.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a vette LT1.

Accessories, direction of fuel rail inlet, valve covers...

All different. You've got an F-body LT1. What's the value difference? Well, I sold a 4-bolt main LT1 block for $100 recently. If you like the car, run with it. Looks like they did an OK job with the retrofit. Don't sweat it if it's 2-bolt vs 4-bolt main. It won't gain you anything on a stock motor anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails Is this a 'Vette LT1?-engine.jpg  
Old 08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

LT1 Vettes had steel valve covers in 1992, in 93-96 they had composite. The 96 Composite dont have the drip rails for the LT4's due to the Roller Rockers, which were a torque down type roller rocker(made by Crane for GM, with special 10mm studs), 18ft/lbs, as there was no valve train adjustment, just like Fords.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Corvette LT1's had 4-bolt mains?

Thats a F-body or B-body LT1. Unless he changed the accesory layout.

Quick Reply: Is this a 'Vette LT1?